Thedi Vandha Selvam (transl. The son I came searching for) is a 1958 Indian Tamil-language drama film produced and directed by P. Neelakantan. The film stars S. S. Rajendran, Rajasulochana and B. Saroja Devi. It was released on 16 July 1958 and emerged a box office success.
|Thedi Vandha Selvam|
|Directed by||P. Neelakantan|
|Written by||M. S. Solaimalai|
|Produced by||P. Neelakantan|
|Starring||S. S. Rajendran|
B. Saroja Devi
|Edited by||V. P. Natarajan|
|Music by||T. G. Lingappa|
This article needs a plot summary. (August 2021)
Credits adapted from The Hindu:
- S. S. Rajendran
- B. Saroja Devi
- V. K. Ramasamy
- T. S. Balaiah
- T. K. Ramachandran
- Kuladeivam Rajagopal
- T. P. Muthulakshmi
- P. R. Mangalam
- A. Karunanidhi
- D. Balasubramaniam
- M. A. Ganapathi
- P. S. Seethalakshmi
- P. S. Gnanam
P. Neelakantan produced and directed Thedi Vandha Selvam under his production company Arasu Pictures. The story and dialogues were written by M. S. Solaimalai, cinematography was handled by V. Ramamurthy and editing by V. P. Natarajan.
The music was composed by T. G. Lingappa and the lyrics were penned by Thanjai N. Ramaiah Dass, A. Maruthakasi, Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram and M. K. Athmanathan. The songs "Panguni Poi Chithirai Vandhaa" and "Pakkathile Irruppey" were popular with audience. The song "Jallikattu Kaalai" was released on 78 RPM record only and was not included in the film.
|"Panguni Poi Chitthirai Vandhaa"||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela||Thanjai N. Ramaiah Dass||03:29|
|"Poovaadai Nee Enakku"||Sirkazhi Govindarajan, T. V. Rathnam||02:46|
|"Pakkatthila Irruppey"||T. M. Soundararajan, L. R. Eswari||Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram||03:15|
|"Plaatpaaram Mattaminnu Ennaatheenga"||S. C. Krishnan||A. Maruthakasi||02:52|
|"Namba Sarakku Romba Nalla"||T. M. Soundararajan||02:55|
|"Thangame Thangam"||P. Susheela, A. P. Komala||M. K. Athmanathan||03:28|
|"Ragasiyathilum Ragasiyam"||P. Leela||02:50|
|"Jallikattu Kaalai"||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela||03:29|
Release and receptionEdit
Thedi Vandha Selvam was released on 16 July 1958. The Indian Express wrote, "Admirable in technical values the film offers more than average entertainment". According to historian Randor Guy, the film was a box office success mainly due to praise for the music and the performances of Rajendran, Ramachandran, Ramasamy and Balaiah.
- ^ காந்தன் (10 August 1958). "தேடிவந்த செல்வம்". Kalki (in Tamil). pp. 39–40. Archived from the original on 13 October 2022. Retrieved 13 October 2022.
- ^ a b c d Guy, Randor (27 August 2016). "Thedi Vandha Selvam (1958) Tamil". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 5 June 2021. Retrieved 7 August 2021.
- ^ a b "Thedi Vunda Selvam". The Indian Express. 16 July 1958. p. 12. Retrieved 7 August 2021.
- ^ a b "1958 – தேடி வந்த தெய்வம் – அரசு பிக்சர்ஸ் (த)" [1958 – Thedi Vandha Selvam – Arasu Pictures (ta)]. Lakshman Sruthi (in Tamil). Archived from the original on 24 March 2017. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- ^ தேடி வந்த செல்வம் (PDF) (song book) (in Tamil). Arasu Pictures. 1958. Retrieved 30 June 2022.
- ^ a b Neelamegam, G. (2014). Thiraikalanjiyam — Part 1 (in Tamil). Chennai: Manivasagar Publishers. p. 146.
- ^ "Thedi Vanda Selvam". The Indian Express. 18 July 1958. p. 3. Retrieved 7 August 2021.