Theatre Night is the umbrella title under which adaptations of classic and contemporary stage plays were usually broadcast on BBC 2 between 15 September 1985 and 21 July 1990.
|Country of origin||UK|
|Original language(s)||English (including translations)|
|No. of series||5|
|No. of episodes||28|
|Production company(s)||BBC (some co-productions)|
|Original network||BBC 2|
|Original release||15 September 1985 –|
21 July 1990
|Preceded by||Play of the Month|
List of episodesEdit
The main source for compiling this list was the BFI Film and TV Database. The website's master list is here. IMDb was also used, but some significant errors were found; these are noted,
Legend: Se = Season; Ep = Episode
- This version of the play is contained with The Oscar Wilde Collection, a BBC 3 DVD box set
- This is a videotape recording of the RSC stage production.
- While the RSC stage production, from which this episode of Theatre Night derives, was first performed in 1983, IMDb is inaccurate in dating this videotaped version from that year. The BFI Film & TV Database indicates the start date for this programme's production was in 1984, while the copyright date is for 1985. See the BFI Film & TV Database outline page.
- The Devil's Disciple, Theatre Night, BBC Two. 1987.
- This production is contained within The Bernard Shaw Collection, a BBC 6 DVD box set.
- This production is contained within The Judi Dench Collection, a BBC 6 DVD box set
- This production is contained within the Henrik Ibsen Collection, a 6 DVD BBC box set (Region 1/N. America only).
- The Importance of Being Earnest, BFI Film & TV database
- IMDb dates this programme to 1986. While it is quite possible this production was recorded during that year, no evidence has been traced suggesting that it was transmitted elsewhere in the world before its British television premiere on this date.
- The Play of the Month production from 1977 is contained within The Terence Rattigan Collection, a 5 DVD BBC box set.
- John Williams "Goddard, Jim (1936-2013)", BFI Screenonline
- Tim Roth starred in the play at the Mermaid Theatre in 1987. IMDb dates this episode from 1987, which is the year of copyright, but it was not transmitted in the UK until 1989. It was produced in association with Viva Theatre Productions.
- Michael Brooke "Othello (1990)", BFI Screenonline, December 2003
- IMDb suggests (in error) that there were five episodes in the last season. At the time this article was begun (May 2014) the compilers had left 5:3 in a place holding state.