The Woman Who Dared (1944 film)
The Woman Who Dared (French title: Le Ciel est à vous) (English: The Sky is Yours) is a 1944 French drama film directed by Jean Grémillon and starring Madeleine Renaud and Charles Vanel. In April 2019, a restored version of the film was selected to be shown in the Cannes Classics section at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.
|The Woman Who Dared|
|Directed by||Jean Grémillon|
|Produced by||Raoul Ploquin|
|Written by||Albert Valentin|
|Music by||Roland Manuel|
|Edited by||Louisette Hautecoeur|
The mechanic Pierre Gauthier runs his own garage until he gets disappropriated because his grounds are required for a new airport. Together with his wife Thérèse, their two children and his moody mother-in-law he has to move. Due to his friendly nature he renders all kinds of services to everybody who asks him for a favour. When he helps a businessman whose car has broken down in the middle of the night, he is offered a new job. In the course of working for his new boss he discovers that he loves aviation. When he informs his wife he wants to be a pilot she is shocked but eventually she learns to understand him and becomes a pilot herself too. Little later she breaks a record concerning long-distance flights.
- Madeleine Renaud – Thérèse Gauthier
- Charles Vanel – Pierre Gauthier
- Jean Debucourt – Larcher
- Raymonde Vernay – Madame Brissard
- Léonce Corne – Doctor Maulette
- Raoul Marco – Monsieur Noblet
- Albert Rémy – Marcel
- Robert Le Fort – Robert
- Anne-Marie Labaye – Jacqueline
- Michel François – Claude
- Gaston Mauger – the successor to Doctor Maulette
- Paul Demange – Petit ("Little")
- Henry Houry – a member of the administration council
- Anne Vandène – Lucienne Ivry
- Higbee, Will & Leahy, Sarah. Studies in French Cinema: UK Perspectives, 1985–2010. Intellect Books, 2011.