The Way to the Gold
|The Way to the Gold|
|Directed by||Robert D. Webb|
|Produced by||David Weisbart|
|Written by||Wendell Mayes|
|Music by||Lionel Newman|
|Edited by||Hugh S. Fowler|
|Distributed by||20th Century-Fox|
|May 10, 1957|
|Box office||$2.9 million|
Joe Mundy (Hunter) is being released from prison and an old convict, whom he has befriended, tells him the location of stolen gold. Leaving the prison, Joe is followed to Glendale, Arizona by Little Brother Williams (Neville Brand). There he meets Henrietta Clifford (North), who befriends him after he's badly beaten by Williams. Eventually, Joe and Henrietta go searching for the gold themselves.
The film was based on a novel by Wilbur Daniel Steele. In August 1954 Darryl F. Zanuck recommended 20th Century Fox by the screen right prior to publication. (Zanuck had left the studio but still held considerable clout there.) They paid $60,000 even though the novel had not been completed.
Elvis Presley was offered the starring role in the film but 20th Century-Fox refused to pay the $250,000 plus 50% of the profits that Elvis' manager, Colonel Tom Parker was demanding (Fox had offered $150,000 plus 50%).
Filming started January 1957.
Sheree North separated from her husband during filming.
- Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p251
- 'Violent Saturday,' New Novel, Purchased; David Brian 'Timberjack' Star Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 18 Aug 1954: B7.
- THEATRES CANCEL TV BOXING PLANS: Skouras Calls Off Coverage of Charles - Marciano Bout in Dispute With Video Unit By THOMAS M. PRYORSpecial to The New York Times. New York Times (1923-Current file); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]18 Aug 1954: 20.
- RANDOM OBSERVATIONS ON PICTURES AND PEOPLE By A. H. WEILER. New York Times 26 Sep 1954: X5.
- Today's Books New York Times 28 July 1955: 21.
- The Heart Has Reasons By HERBERT F. WEST. New York Times 31 July 1955: BR4.
- Drama: Tony Galento to Enact Mobster; Cecil Movie Cartoon on Schedule Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 5 May 1956: A9.
- HITCHCOCK SIGNS FOR M-G-M MOVIE: He Will Produce and Direct 'Wreck of the Mary Deare' From Book by Innes Todd Settles Taxing Problem By THOMAS M. PRYOR Special to The New York Times. New York Times 4 Jan 1957: 18.
- Sheree North Parting From Music Publisher: Actress Reveals 'Amicable' Separation After Two-Year Marriage to Bud Freeman Los Angeles Times 12 Mar 1957: B1