The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life (first published in 2016) is the second book by blogger and author Mark Manson. In it Manson argues that life's struggles give it meaning, and that the mindless positivity of typical self-help books is neither practical nor helpful. It was a New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller.
|September 13, 2016|
|Followed by||Everything Is Fucked|
As of May 2019, over 8 million copies of the book had been sold.
The book is a reaction to the self-help industry and what Manson saw as a culture of mindless positivity that is not practical or helpful for most people. Manson uses many of his own personal experiences to illustrate how life's struggles often give it more meaning, which, he argues, is a better approach than constantly trying to be happy. Manson's approach and writing style have been categorized by some as contrarian to the general self-help industry, using blunt honesty and profanity to illustrate his ideas.
The book has nine chapters with the following titles:
1. Don't Try.
2. Happiness is a problem.
3. You are not special.
4. The value of suffering.
5. You are always choosing.
6. You are wrong about everything (But so am I).
7. Failure is the way forward.
8. The importance of saying no.
9. And then you die.
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck is a book about finding meaning in important things in life and only having those values that an individual can control. Whatever value (such as popularity) that is not under a person's control, is a bad value to have and a person should strive to replace it with something more controllable such as punctuality, honesty, or kindness. Manson further advises avoiding claiming certainty about the knowledge that is out of one's grasp and not worry about leaving a legacy for the posterity. Instead of worrying about building a body of work as a legacy, one should seek to create joy in the moment for one's self and those around.
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck first appeared on the New York Times Bestseller List at #6 for the category of How-to and Miscellaneous for the week of October 2, 2016. It reached #1 for the first time on July 16, 2017. As of the end of May 2020, the book has spent 179 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller list.
The book also appeared on the Washington Post Bestseller List at #9 in the Non-fiction/General category for the week of September 25, 2016, and on the Toronto Star List at #1 in the Self-Improvement category on September 23, 2016. In 2017, it was the best-selling nonfiction book from Barnes & Noble, the #4 best-selling book on all of Amazon.com, and the #9 best-selling book in Canada.
Critics have been quick to note that the apparent lack of sophistication in language and style of the book is a clever disguise for more serious value-related content of the book.
- "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck". MarkManson.net. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck". HarperCollins Publishers. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- NyPost https://nypost.com/2019/05/11/inside-the-latest-book-by-bestselling-fked-author-mark-manson/. Retrieved May 27, 2020. Missing or empty
- Franklyn, Tree. "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – A Book Review". Huffington Post. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- Pushkar, Katherine. "The last f—king self-help book you'll ever buy". NY Daily News. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- Rivera, Erica. "Interview: Mark Manson on "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck"". Crave. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- Manson, Mark (2016). The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck (First ed.). New York: Harper One. p. 535. ISBN 978-0-06-245771-4.
- "The New York Times Best Seller List: Advice, How-to and Miscellaneous. Week of Oct 3, 2016". New York Times. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- "The New York Times Best Seller List: Advice, How-to and Miscellaneous. Week of July 16, 2017". New York Times. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "New York Times Best-Sellers: Advice, How-To, and Miscellaneous". New York Times. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "The Washington Post Best Seller List. Week of September 25, 2016". Washington Post. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- "Toronto Star Bestsellers". Toronto Star. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- "Fast Company: Barnes & Noble's best-selling books of 2017 are just so 2017". Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Amazon Best Sellers of 2017". Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Here are the bestselling books in Canada of 2017". Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK". Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- Graham, Ruth (2018-12-20). "Want a Best-Seller? Put the F-Word in the Title". Slate Magazine. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Cronin, Brenda (2017-02-01). "Book Publishers Are Printing More #@$% Than Ever". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck - A Book Review". HuffPost. 2016-09-15. Retrieved 2020-11-13.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck|