The Stray Cat
The Stray Cat (Spanish title: La Gata) is a Mexican telenovela produced by Nathalie Lartilleux for Televisa. It is a remake of the Venezuelan telenovela La Gata, produced in 1968 and Mexican telenovela Rosa Salvaje produced in 1987.
|Also known as||La Gata|
|Theme music composer|
|Opening theme||"Vas A Querer Volver" performed by Maite Perroni|
|Country of origin||Mexico|
|No. of episodes||121|
|Executive producer(s)||Nathalie Lartilleux|
|Original network||Canal de las Estrellas|
|Picture format||480i SDTV |
|Original release||May 5 –|
October 19, 2014
|Preceded by||Por siempre mi amor|
|Followed by||Muchacha italiana viene a casarse|
Maite Perroni and Daniel Arenas star as the protagonists, with Erika Buenfil as the adult protagonist, while Jorge Poza, Mónika Sánchez and first actress Laura Zapata star as the antagonists.
The story takes place in the outskirts of Mexico City in Bordo de Xochiaca (a landfill), where a girl Esmeralda 12 years old who is always "disheveled and dirty" like a "Stray Cat" (una "Gata"). Esmeralda is a young neighborhood girl who grew up without her parents and learned to be happy with what little she had. She was raised from childhood by an elderly woman named Mrs. Rita who exploited her by making her go ask alms, sell candy and newspapers. Esmeralda could neither read nor write. She meets Pablo Martínez Negrete, a high society rich boy who teaches her to read and write and with whom she becomes friends. Since then Esmeralda notices that he is the first person to call her by her name and the first person who really truly cares about her. But Pablo's mother opposes his friendship with "The Stray Cat".
Several years later, Esmeralda grows up and becomes a beautiful young woman who still does not read nor write and has not changed since childhood. Pablo realizes that his feelings for The Stray Cat are more than that of a friend and feels confused as to what he feels for Esmeralda. Esmeralda starts looking for work, thanks to Pablo, as she does not want to keep asking alms and she does not want him to give her money. Lorenza, Pablo's mother, strongly opposes the friendship between Pablo and Esmeralda and alienates her from him. Pablo is pushed to fall in love with Mónica a girl who comes from "a good social position" and is also his "cousin".
Agustín, Pablo's father, convinces Pablo that he should study his masters abroad and marry Monica once he returns, a plot to separate him and Esmeralda. Pablo and Esmeralda decide to marry secretly before he goes abroad. From New York Pablo emails his father Agustín and asks him to help him fix travel papers for Esmeralda so she can reunite with him in New York. Pablo's father pretends to want to help him but has no interest in helping his son. Instead he plans to have Esmeralda kidnapped. Two men walk into Mrs. Rita's hut where they find Esmeralda alone, there the two men grab her and carry her out wrapped in blanklet and throw Esmeralda into the trunk of a stolen car. Esmeralda's friend Damián is going to her hut when he notices that one of the men is carrying something. Damián calls and whistles to his friends. They drive away but are soon closed in by the carriage. Garabato tells them that if they mess with one of them they mess with all of them. Garabato and the gang scare of the men and force open the trunk and find Esmeralda wrapped in the blanket.
After several months Esmeralda gives birth to twins, a boy and a girl. Doña Rita who has always sought to benefit from "La Gata" forces her to marry Domenico "El Italiano" Almontem. Esmeralda having no other solution agrees to marry him only to purchase medicine for her daughter Leticia who is sick.
Fernando "El Silencioso" gets out of jail and vows to take revenge on those who locked him up injustly for using self-defense. Esmeralda later meets "El Silencioso", her biological father. She ignores her true origin. He takes her into his house and promises her that he wants to be a father to her and a grandfather to her children. Pablo returns from abroad to marry Mónica believing Esmeralda had betrayed him. He believes that the twins are not his and that she has a relationship with El Silencioso. Esmeralda becomes a beautiful well-educated woman and is determined to fight for his love. The Stray Cat will have to use her strong character to get the love of Pablo back.
- Maite Perroni as Esmeralda / La Gata
- Daniel Arenas as Pablo Martínez Negrete
- Laura Zapata as Lorenza de Martínez Negrete
- Erika Buenfil as Blanca Rafaela de la Santa Cruz
- Manuel Ojeda as El Silencioso
- Pilar Pellicer as Doña Rita Olea Pérez
- Jorge Poza as Mariano Martínez Negrete
- Leticia Perdigón as Leticia "La Jarocha"
- Juan Verduzco as Agustín Martínez Negrete
- Lupita Lara as Eugenia Castañeda
- Socorro Bonilla as Mercedes "Doña Meche" Reyes
- Carlos Bonavides as Doménico "El Italiano" Almonte
- Ianis Guerrero as Damián Reyes
- Mariluz Bermúdez as Virginia Martínez Negrete
- Pierre Louis as Carlos "El Centavito"
- Óscar Ferreti as Don Lupe
- Teo Tapia AS Roberto Elizalde
- Alejandra Robles Gil as Inés Olea Pérez
- Jorge Alberto Bolaños as Omar
- Benjamín Rivero as Jesús Olea Pérez "Tílico" / Juan Garza
- Ruth Rosas as Dorita
- Ricardo Baranda as Garabato / Víctor de la Fuente
- Jorge Ortín as Osorio
- Antonio Medellín as Director de Cárcel
- Susana Lozano as Unknown Character
- Anic Moss as Alicia
- Patricia Maqueo as Child Esmeralda
- José Eduardo Álvarez as Child Pablo
- Ana Sofía Durand as Child Virginia
- Christian Vega as Child Mariano
- Mauro Navarro as Child Garabato
- Karim as Child Centavito
- Rogelio Hernández as Child Damián
|Season||Timeslot (ET/PT)||No. of
|2014||Monday to Friday 4:15 PM||121||May 5, 2014||17.7||October 19, 2014||20.9|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2014||People en Español Awards||Best Telenovela||La Gata||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Maite Perroni||Nominated|
|Galanazo of the Year||Daniel Arenas||Nominated|
|Better Chemistry on the Screen||Maite Perroni and Daniel Arenas||Nominated|
|The Meanest Bad||Laura Zapata||Nominated|
|Kids Choice Awards México||Favorite Actress||Maite Perroni||Nominated|
|2015||33rd TVyNovelas Awards||Best Lead Actress||Maite Perroni||Nominated|
|Best Lead Actor||Daniel Arenas||Nominated|
|Best Co-star Actor||Patricio Castillo||Nominated|
|Best First Actor||Manuel Ojeda||Nominated|
|Juventud Awards||Best Theme Novelero||"Vas A Querer Volver" performed by Maite Perroni||Nominated|
|My Favorite Protagonist||Maité Perroni||Nominated|
|Ghana Movie Awards||Best Foreign TV series||La Gata||Won|
- maite-perroni Podría Ser ‘La Gata’ Junto a Daniel Arenas En Telenovela De Nathalie Lartilleux Archived 2014-03-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Start filmation of "La Gata" produced by Natalie Lartilleux Archived 2014-02-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Confirmada Maite Perroni para estelarizar "La Gata". Con Maxine Woodside Archived 2013-12-12 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-07-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Laura Zapata será la villana en la nueva versión de 'La Gata' Archived 2013-12-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Reyes, Lupita. "La Gata no convenció en su primer capítulo". Yahoo (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 12, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- Martínez, Lupita. "La Gata promedios y rating de capítulos" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on February 21, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Lista de nominados a los Premios People en español 2014". starmedia.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 6 April 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "People En Español Las Estrellas Del Año 2014: Angelique Boyer, Sebastián Rulli, William Levy y Enrique Iglesias Entre Los Ganadores [LISTA COMPLETA]". Spanish Latinos Post (in Spanish). November 14, 2014. Archived from the original on July 31, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- Souza, Nielsen. "Nickelodeon revela los nominados a los Kids' Choice Awards México 2014". anmtvla.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 26 March 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Kids Choice Awards México: La lista completa de ganadores". peru.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Premios TVyNovelas 2015: Lista Completa De Nominados". novelalounge.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 11 July 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Los grandes ganadores de los premios TVyNovelas 2015". tvynovelas.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 6 April 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Premios Juventud 2015: repasa la lista de nominados". peopleenespanol.com (in Spanish). People en Español. Archived from the original on 6 April 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Premios Juventud 2015: Lista completa de ganadores". peopleenespanol.com (in Spanish). People en Español. Archived from the original on 6 April 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Full list of winners at Ghana Movie Awards 2015". ghanaweb.com. Archived from the original on 28 July 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2017.