The Southern Aegis, and Harford County Intelligencer was a conservative Unionist newspaper which was published from March 22, 1862, to March 11, 1864, in Bel Air, Maryland by a prominent local lawyer, A.W. Bateman. After purchasing the paper as a pro-Confederate publication titled The Southern Aegis from John Cox in 1862, Bateman slightly altered the name of the paper as well as its political stance. In 1864, the title was again changed to the simplified The Aegis & Intelligencer, and Frederick W. Baker became the new publisher and editor. Baker sold The Aegis & Intelligencer to John D. Worthington, Sr. in 1904, but kept its name until 1923, when it was changed to The Aegis.
|Political alignment||conservative Unionist|
|Relaunched||1864, The Aegis & Intelligencer|
|Headquarters||Bel Air, Maryland, U.S.|
- "The Southern Aegis, and Harford County Intelligencer". Chronicling America. Library of Congress.
- Larew, Marilynn (1979). "National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, Aegis Building, Bel Air" (PDF). p. 6.
- Portrait and Biographical Record of Harford and Cecil Counties, Maryland: Containing Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the Counties. Together with Biographies and Portraits of All the Presidents of the United States. New York and Chicago: Chapman Publishing Co. 1897.
portrait and biographical record of harford and cecil counties.
- Deibel, Carol (2012). Bel Air Chronicles (Illustrated ed.). Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-1614236740.
- Penski, Elwin (2010). An American County Historical Chronology, Big Bang to 2009 Harford County, Maryland, USA 125th Anniversary of the Historical Society of Harford County, Inc (Limited ed.). Harford County, MD: El's Research Studies. ISBN 978-0984121014.
- Larew, Marilynn (1995). Bel Air: An Architectural and Cultural History, 1782-1945. Bel Air, MD: Town of Bel Air, Maryland.
- Chambers, Tom (Fall 1991). Harford County Newspapers of the 19th Century. Harford Historical Bulletin 50. pp. 87–131.
- Mason, Samuel (1955). Historical Sketches of Harford County, Maryland. Harford County, MD: Little Pines Farm. ISBN 978-0788437809.