The Slipper and the Rose – The Story of Cinderella is a musical theatre retelling of the classic fairy tale Cinderella. Originally made as a musical film, the stage version was created in 1984 by Philip Burley. It runs for approximately two and a half hours over two acts and an intermission.
|The Slipper and the Rose - The Story of Cinderella|
|Music||Richard M. Sherman |
Robert B. Sherman
|Lyrics||Robert B. Sherman & Richard M. Sherman and Bryan Forbes|
|Book||Robert B. Sherman & Richard M. Sherman and Bryan Forbes|
Stage adaptation by Philip Burley
|Basis||The Slipper and the Rose (1976)|
|Productions||2000 Epsom, UK |
2004 Salt Lake City, Utah
2008 Tacoma, Washington
2011 Montreal, Quebec,
Based on the original Cinderella fairy-tale, the story revolves around a central theme of love between Prince Edward of Euphrania and Cinderella. There are also elements of wish fulfillment notably conveyed through the character of the Fairy Godmother.
The story begins with Edward's unsuccessful search for a bride and ends with love fulfilled as Prince Edward and Cinderella marry. The plot contains many elements from the well known Cinderella story (a bride-finding ball, fitting the slipper for example), with additional twists (a betrayal).
Synopsis of ScenesEdit
Epsom Light Opera Company staged the premiere of the musical from 10 to 14 October 2000 at Epsom Playhouse, directed by Philip Burley. Later UK productions have included stagings in 2001 by the Bilston Operatic Company in Wolverhampton, in May 2008 at the Minack Theatre in Cornwall, in April 2011 at the York Theatre Royal, and in November 2013 by BOST Musicals at the Liverpool Empire Theatre.
The musical was given its US premiere in February 2005 at the Hale Center Theatre in West Valley City, Utah. A production ran in November to December 2008 at the Tacoma Musical Playhouse in Tacoma, Washington.
- David Spicer Productions, Australia. Retrieved 6 June 2011
- "The Slipper and the Rose", Epsom Light Opera Company, 2000, accessed 7 July 2020
- "Past Productions", BilstonOperaticCompany.org, accessed 25 July 2019
- "Past Productions", The Minack Theatre. Retrieved 25 July 2019
- Wilkes, Jonathon. "Review: The Slipper And The Rose, York Musical Theatre Company, York Theatre Royal, until April 16", York Press, 14 April 2011
- "The Slipper and the Rose York Musical Theatre Company, 2011", sardinesmagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 25 July 2019
- The Slipper and the Rose, BOST Musicals. Retrieved 25 July 2019
- "Slipper and Rose is enchanting", Deseret News, 17 February 2005
- "Mainstage Show History, 200802009", tmp.org. Retrieved 25 July 2019
- "The Slipper and the Rose Seattle", theatermania.com. Retrieved 25 July 2019
- "Family Musical Daisy and the Wonder Weeds Debuts at Productions Coracole Today", BroadwayWorld.com, 19 April 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2019
- The Slipper and the Rose at IMDb
- Information from the National Operatic and Dramatic Association (NODA)
- Bilston Operatic Company
- York Theatre Royal
- Les Productions Coracole (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) website showcasing their recent presentation of The Slipper and the Rose.
- Reference at guidetomusicaltheatre.com