The Second Founding
The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution is a non-fiction book written by Eric Foner and published by W.W. Norton & Company in 2019. The book recounts the history of the Reconstruction era amendments to the U.S. Constitution and the historical efforts by the U.S. Supreme Court and certain states to undermine these amendments, as well as efforts to undermine the lawful right for all citizens to vote and enjoy full citizenship. Foner also demonstrates the relevance of this history to our present day.
|Audio read by||Donald Corren|
|Set in||Pre-U.S. Civil War to present|
|Publisher||W.W. Norton & Company|
|Media type||Print, e-audio, CD|
- Kazin, Michael (December 2, 2019). "The Unfinished Revolution". The Nation. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Caplan, Lincoln (September 18, 2019). "What Reconstruction-Era Laws Can Teach Our Democracy". The New York Times. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Mathews, Jessica T. (December 2019). "Review: The Second Founding..." Foreign Affairs. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- "The 2020 Cundill History Prize Longlist". The Cundill History Prize. Retrieved 13 December 2020.
- Official website
- Witt, John Fabian (October 31, 2019). "The achievements, and compromises, of two Reconstruction-era amendments". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Bordewich, Fergus M. (September 20, 2019). "Review: Replanting Democracy. The Second Founding". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Gross, Terry (September 17, 2019). "'Second Founding' Examines How Reconstruction Remade The Constitution". National Public Radio. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Discussion by Eric Foner. Boston Athenæum. Boston, MA. December 11, 2019.