The Rock of Souls
The Rock of Souls (Spanish: El Peñón de las Ánimas) is a Mexican movie produced in 1943, directed by Miguel Zacarías and starring Jorge Negrete and María Félix. It is the first movie to star María Félix, one of the legendary female stars of the Golden Age of Mexican cinema.
|The Rock of Souls|
|Directed by||Miguel Zacarías|
|Produced by||Jesus Grovas|
|Written by||Miguel Zacarías|
Carlos López Moctezuma
Miguel Angel Ferriz
|Music by||Ernesto Cortázar|
|Edited by||Jose W. Bustos|
|Distributed by||Producciones Grovas|
In a little town in Mexico, the rivalry between the families of Fernando Iturriaga (Jorge Negrete) and María Ángela Valdivia (María Félix) for the domain of a property known as El Peñón de las Ánimas prevents the love between the two young lovers.
It was the first movie of the legendary María Félix. For the movie, Jorge Negrete had requested that his girlfriend, the actress Gloria Marín be his costar; however, Félix was selected by the director, which led to a series of altercations between the couple. Ten years later they got married.
- Jorge Negrete as Fernando Iturriaga
- María Félix as María Ángela Valdivia
- René Cardona as Manuel
- Miguel Ángel Ferriz as Don Braulio
- Carlos López Moctezuma as Felipe, María Ángela's brother
- Virginia Manzano as Rosa
- Conchita Gentil Arcos as Madame
- Manuel Dondé as Macario
- Roberto Cañedo
- Julio Ahuet
- Hernán Vera
- Paco Astol
- Paco Martínez
- Armando Sáenz
- Linda Christian
- Cecilia Leger as Modista
- Manuel Pozos as Señor gobernador
- Humberto Rodríguez as Invitado al baile
- Baugh, p. 80
- Baugh, Scott L. Latino American Cinema: An Encyclopedia of Movies, Stars, Concepts, and Trends. ABC-CLIO, 2012.