The Real McCoy (TV series)
The Real McCoy was a BBC Television comedy show that ran from 1991 to 1996, featuring an array of black and Asian comedy stars performing material with various comedy sketches and musical guests such as the musical group Soul II Soul. Although the show has never been released on DVD, the complete series 3 and 4 can be viewed on YouTube
|The Real McCoy|
Title card for Series 1-3
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||6|
|No. of episodes||30|
|Executive producer(s)||Curtis Walker|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original network||BBC 2|
|Original release||10 May 1991 – 9 February 1996|
UK comedy stars that featured in the series included: the comedy acts Robbie Gee, Curtis and Ishmael, Judith Jacob, Collette Johnson, Llewella Gideon, Meera Syal, Perry Benson, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Leo Chester, Kulvinder Ghir, Rudi Lickwood, Eddie Nestor, Marcus Powell, Junior Simpson and Curtis Walker and Felix Dexter.
The producer of the first two series, Charlie Hanson, was the co-founder of the Black Theatre Co-operative and had produced No Problem! and Desmond's before creating The Real McCoy. He was working with Curtis and Ishmael on the 291 Club at the Hackney Empire and suggested making a television version, but instead, the BBC opted for a totally new sketch series, launching The Real McCoy.
- "BBC - Comedy Guide - The Real McCoy". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 8 December 2004. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Brian Logan (2010-04-13). "Meet black comedy's trailblazers | Stage". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- The Real McCoy (1993-4) - Series 3 (FULL SERIES) - YouTube
- The Real McCoy (1994) - Series 4 (FULL SERIES) - YouTube
- "Campaigners want Islamic extremist comic banned from stage show". Daily Mail. London.
- "The Real McCoy reunite at the Hackney Empire - Time Out London". Timeout.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Ariel - What is the legacy of The Real McCoy?". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Bring back the Real McCoy". The Voice Online. Retrieved 2012-11-21.