The Quispe Girls
|The Quispe Girls|
|Las niñas Quispe|
|Directed by||Sebastian Sepulveda|
|Produced by||Juan de Dios Larrain|
|Written by||Based on "Las Brutas" by Juan Radrigan|
|Screenplay by||Sebastian Sepulveda|
|Starring||Digna Quispe, Catalina Saavedra, Francisca Gavilán, Alfredo Castro, Segundo Araya|
|Edited by||Santiago Otheguy|
|Distributed by||Fábula, Swipe Films|
|2014 Iquique International Festival (National release), 2013 Venice Film Festival. (Worldwide release)|
|Country||Chile, France, Argentina|
In 1974, the altiplano (highlands) goat-herders were concerned their animals were losing economic value as rumours about the military government expanded and reached the more isolated corners of the country.
Affected by the recent loss of another of their sisters, and frightened by the news that the military had reached the area of Copiapo, Justa, Lucía and Luciana committed suicide by hanging themselves from a rock (along with their two dogs).
The film's suicide scene was performed on the same rock where the real incident occurred, and the role of Justa Quispe was played by her niece, Digna Quispe. Movie director and screenwriter Sebastián Sepúlveda says about his first encounter with Digna Quispe: "I was very afraid of Digna when I first met her. She don't shake hands, she "shake" just the fingers, and in a very cold way", later she would accept to take part of the project. Digna's harsh personality was considered a reflection of her life in the Altiplano, and her personality leave a mark on the film.
- Production companies
- The movie was a Chilean, Argentinean and French production, involving Fabula, Dolce Vita Films and Cinema Uno.
- Co - producers
- Juan de Dios Larraín
- Fernando Sokolowicz
- Diego Urgoiti-Moinot
- Pablo Larraín
- Executive producer
- Juan Ignacio Correa
- Co-executive producer
- Marc Irmer
- Costume designer
- Muriel Parra
- Post producer
- Cristian Echeverria
- Line producer
- Ruth Orellana
- Santiago Otheguy
- Inti Briones
- Sound Department
- Charles Bussienne as sound assistant: auditorium
- Cyrille Lauwerier as sound re-recording mixer
- Loïc Prian as sound editor
- Other crew
- Claire Viroulaud as French press officer
- Italy, 30 August 2013 (Venice Film Festival)
- Greece, 5 November 2013 (Thessaloniki International Film Festival)
- France, 19 March 2014, Festival de Toulouse
- Chile, 11 September 2014 (Iquique International film Festival)
- Brazil , 26 September 2014 (Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival)
Also known as (AKA)Edit
- France - "Les soeurs Quispe"
- Greece - "Oi adelfes Quispe"
- World-wide (English title) - The Quispe Girls
- Venice Film Festival Critics' Week, best cinematography.
- Lima Film Festival Critics' Award, and best cinematography.
- Festival Filmar, Switzerland Best Film.
- Lakino Film Festival Best Film.
- Mar del Plata International Film Festival Mention Best Film.
- CINEMATROPICAL AWARDS 2015. Best First Film. Nominated Best Film, Best Director.
- The film had a positive reception, though some criticized the awkwardness of integrating the inexperienced Digna Quispe with the rest of the crew. Digna, though brilliant, was illiterate and had no acting experience, with one reviewer saying her performance did not blend with those of Francisca Gavilán and Catalina Saavedra, the other two main characters.
- The Hollywood Reporter also gave a positive review, saying: "Sebastian Sepulveda's beautifully written, played and shot feature debut is as dark, pure and bleak as the lives of its subjects."
- Las niñas Quispe (2013) at IMDB Internet Movie Database retrieved on October 24, 2014
- "A Digna yo le tenía mucho miedo cuando la conocí. Ella no da la mano, sino que da los dedos, y de una forma muy fría", Sebastián Sepúlveda, al recordar sus primeros encuentros con la sobrina de las Quispe, quien luego aceptó interpretar a su tía Justa. Digna se sumó así al equipo que integraban Catalina Saavedra y Francisca Gavilán en los roles de Lucía y Luciana, respectivamente. www.emol.com, Francisca González Castillo, september 9, 2014, retrieved on October 29, 2014
- Las niñas Quispe (ES) "Lo que complica la verosimilitud del trabajo de estas tremendas actrices es que la tercera hermana está interpretada por Digna Quispe, heredera de las míticas hermanas y una persona que en toda su corporalidad y expresión da cuenta de la relación que existe desde su origen con el mundo que la rodea y la define".CRÍTICAS & ESTUDIOS "Las niñas Quispe: el drama sin dolor" Cinechile, Enciclopedia del Cine Chileno / Santiago, Chile, Antonella Estevez, retrieved on October 28, 2014
- The Hollywood reporter critic The hollywood reporter, Agoust 31, 2013 by Jonathan Holland