The Paperbacks are a Canadian indie rock and pop music band based in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The band is active in the local Winnipeg music scene with close ties to such bands as The Weakerthans and Novillero.
|Origin||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
Parliament of Trees
|Past members||Jack Jonasson|
Louis Lévesque Côté
The Paperbacks formed in 2000 after the disbanding of local Winnipeg punk-rock act The Bonaduces. Original members were former Bonaduces singer Doug McLean, drummer Jack Jonasson, bassist Jaret McNabb, guitarists Jason Churko and Mike Marshall and pianist Tanya Zubert.
The Paperbacks released their debut album An Episode of Sparrows in 2003 on record label Pshaw. The album appeared on the !earshot National Top 50 chart in August that year, and was released in the UK on the New Industry label.
In January 2003 Endearing Records released Intercontinental Pop Exchange No. 1, a split with Wolf Colonel. Their track "Grey Skies" was featured on the 2004 compilation album New Music Canada, Vol. 1. By 2005 the band had toured in Europe, playing in clubs and bars.
The Paperbacks' album An Illusion Against Death, produced by John K Samson of the Weakerthans, was released July 21, 2007 in Canada on the Parliament of Trees record label. In 2009 the band performed regularly in local Winnipeg venues while also writing and recording songs.
By 2010, Jonasson, Churko and Marshall had left the band, replaced by Corey Biluk on drums, Kevin Andrechuk on guitar, and Kevin McLean on keyboards. With this lineup, in January that year they released a double album of pop music, Lit from Within. Later that year they performed in Toronto as part of the NXNE Festival.
In 2011 the band was in hiatus, as Doug McLean concentrated on other projects.
- Doug McLean - Guitar, Vocals. Also performs with "Half Mast" and "Bulls on Parade", a Rage Against the Machine cover band.
- Jaret McNabb - Bass. Also performs with Broken Orchestra of Winnipeg.
- Corey Biluk - Drums. Also performs with Broken Orchestra of Winnipeg and Safety Penguin.
- Kevin Andrechuk - Guitar.
- Kevin McLean - Keyboard. Also performs with Broken Orchestra of Winnipeg and Sub City Dwellers.
- Skinny Sidewalks (2002)
- An Episode of Sparrows (2003)
- Intercontinental Pop Exchange No. 1 - split with Wolf Colonel (2003)
- An Illusion Against Death (2007)
- Lit from Within (2010)
- "Winnipeg's finest Paperbacks". The Gauntlet, Ashley Spinella, 2005-05-26
- "Near and dear", Uptown Magazine, September 23, 2004
- "The National Top 50 For the Week Ending: Tuesday, August 12, 2003". !earshot.
- " The Paperbacks An Episode of Sparrows". Drowned in Sound, Mat Hocking October 17th, 2003
- "Everyday they write the book". The YYScene, August 27, 2009 by Jesse Locke
- "CD review : The Paperbacks, “Lit From Within”". The Manitoban, Jeff Nielsen, February 5, 2010
- "The Paperbacks: Lit From Within ". AV Club, Noel Murray, 8/10/2010
- "One-on-One with the Paperbacks". Greyowl Point, June 24, 2010, by Michael Thomas.
- "Paperbacks front man Doug McLean debuts new project". Uniter, Aaron Epp, April 14, 2011