The Night the Prowler
The Night the Prowler (also known as Patrick White's The Night the Prowler) is a 1978 Australian film written by Patrick White, produced by Anthony Buckley and directed by Jim Sharman. Ruth Cracknell was nominated in 1979 for an AFI Award for Best Actress in a Lead Role for her part.
|The Night the Prowler|
Cover of screenplay
|Directed by||Jim Sharman|
|Produced by||Anthony Buckley|
|Written by||Patrick White|
|Music by||Cameron Allan|
|Edited by||Sara Bennett|
New South Wales Film Corporation
|Distributed by||International Harmony (US)|
|2 June 1978 (Sydney Film Festival)|
15 June 1979 (Australia)
Sharman had worked successfully with White directing the latter's play The Season at Sarsaparilla. White suggested that his book The Night the Prowler might make a film; Sharman agreed and White wrote a screenplay.
The film was shot in November and December 1977.
Paul Byrnes of Australian Screen Online wrote the following in his review:
The film is a savage satire on the neuroses of the privileged of Sydney’s eastern suburbs, where White lived, and the director Jim Sharman grew up. Much of the satire verges on invective, and the film was criticised for being ponderous, pretentious and condescending. Parts of it are like that—especially some of the dialogue—but the film also has some moments where everything works.
- Stratton, David. The Last New Wave: The Australian Film Revival, Angus & Robertson, 1980 p167-169
- The Angus & Robertson Concise Australian Encyclopedaedia (2nd ed. 1986). North Ryde, Sydney, Australia: Angus & Robertson. 1983. p. 505. ISBN 0-207-15305-1.
- IMDb awards
- Anderson, Robyn & Adler, Sue. "Jim Sharman", Cinema Papers, March–April 1979 p. 270
- Dzenis, Anna. "Patrick White's the Night the Prowler", Australian Film 1978-1992, Oxford Uni Press 1993 p. 46
- Byrnes, Paul.The Night the Prowler. Australian Screen Online
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a comedy-drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|