The New American
The New American (TNA) is a far-right print magazine published twice a month by American Opinion Publishing Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the John Birch Society (JBS), a far-right organization. The magazine was created in 1985 from the merger of two JBS magazines: American Opinion and The Review of the News.
|Frequency||Twice a month|
|First issue||September 30, 1985|
|Company||American Opinion Publishing Inc.|
|Based in||Appleton, Wisconsin|
In 1956, before his foundation of the John Birch Society two years later, Robert W. Welch, Jr. created his first publication, a monthly entitled One Man's Opinion, which became known two years later as American Opinion. Additionally, in 1965, he established a JBS affiliated publication known as The Review of the News, which was intended for a larger readership and covered news.
In September 1985, American Opinion was merged with The Review of the News to create The New American, with the aim of attracting a readership large enough to "make the saving of our country possible." The magazine's name was inspired by Robert Welch's "New Americanism" essay.
The print version of the magazine is available to subscribers, but publishes free daily content online.
- "The New American". Wisconsin: American Opinion Publishing Inc. October 1, 2014. Cite journal requires
- Blumenthal, Max (2010). Republican Gomorrah : inside the movement that shattered the party. New York, NY: Nation Books. p. 332. ISBN 1568584172.
Skousen's vocal support for the Far-right John Birch Society's claim that communists controlled President Dwight Eisenhower cost him the support of the corporate backers who had paid for his Red-bashing lecture tours.
- Eatwell, Roger (2004), "Introduction: The new extreme right challenge", Western Democracies and The New Extreme Right challenge, Routledge, p. 7, ISBN 9781134201570
Potok, Mark (2004), "The American radical right: The 1990s and beyond", Western Democracies and The New Extreme Right challenge, Routledge, p. 43, ISBN 9781134201570
- Bernstein, Richard (May 21, 2007). "The JFK assassination and a '60s leftist prism Letter from America". International Herald Tribune. Paris. p. 2.
Jordan, Ida Kay (August 26, 2001). "Voters Admired N.C. Senator's Independent Streak, Southern Charm". The Virginian-Pilot. Norfolk, Va. p. J.1.
Brinkley, Douglas (February 10, 1997). "The Right Choice for the C.I.A.". The New York Times. p. A.15.
- Webb, Clive. Rabble rousers: the American far right in the civil rights era. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2010 ISBN 0820327646 p. 10
- The New American, January 5, 1987 Letter from the Editor
- "The John Birch Society". Wisconsin. October 9, 1985. Cite journal requires
- "The New American 20 years of TRUTH!". Wisconsin: American Opinion Publishing Inc. September 19, 2005. Cite journal requires
- "The New American". Wisconsin: American Opinion Publishing Inc. September 19, 2005. Cite journal requires