The Monitor (Sydney)
The Monitor was a biweekly English language newspaper published in Sydney, New South Wales and founded in 1826. It is one of the earlier newspapers in the colony commencing publication twenty three years after the Sydney Gazette, the first paper to appear in 1803, and more than seventy years before the federation of Australia. The Monitor changed name several times, subsequently being known as The Sydney Monitor, and in June 1838 Francis O'Brien and Edwyn Henry Statham introduced themselves as the new editors of the re-branded Sydney Monitor and Commercial Advertiser.
The newspaper was first published on 19 May 1826 by Edward Smith Hall and Arthur Hill. The paper was not without controversy in the colony, publicly taking up the cause of the poor and convicts with a motto that "nothing extenuate nor set down aught in malice" and being openly critical of the governing authorities.
|Masthead||Dates of circulation|
|The Sydney Monitor||1828–1838|
|Sydney Monitor and Commercial Advertiser||1838–1841|
- Isaacs, Victor; Rod Kirkpatrick (2003). "Two hundred years of Sydney newspapers: a short history" (PDF). UQ eprints. Rural Press. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Riley, Margot (Winter 2016). "Eternally Yours" (PDF). SL Magazine. Vol. 9 no. 2. p. 17.
- "The Monitor, Volume 1, Number 1". The Monitor. I (1). New South Wales, Australia. 19 May 1826. p. 1 – via National Library of Australia.
- Ihde, Erin (2005). A Manifestor for the New South Wales: Edward Smith Hall and the Sydney Monitor, 1826–1840. Melbourne: Australian Scholarly. ISBN 1740970519.
- M. J. B. Kenny, 'Hall, Edward Smith (1786–1860)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 1, MUP, 1966. Accessed 24 April 2013
- "The Monitor". State Library New South Wales. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "The Monitor". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "The Sydney Monitor". State Library New South Wales. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "The Sydney monitor". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Sydney Monitor and Commercial Advertiser". State Library New South Wales. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Newspapers and magazine titles". Trove. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Newspaper digitisation program". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Brown, Jerelynn (2011). "Tabloids in the State Library of NSW collection: A reflection of life in Australia". Australian Journal of Communication. 38 (2): 107–121.