The Miracle (1991 film)
|Directed by||Neil Jordan|
|Produced by||Redmond Morris|
|Written by||Neil Jordan|
|Music by||Anne Dudley|
|Edited by||Joke van Wijk|
|Distributed by||Miramax Films|
5 April 1991
3 July 1991
Two teenage friends, Jimmy (Niall Byrne) and Rose (Lorraine Pilkington) live in the small seaside town of Bray, Ireland. They spend their days wandering the streets and piers. To kill time, Rose and Jimmy make up stories about strangers on the street. One day, while watching people at the train station, a stylish older woman, Renee Baker (Beverly D'Angelo), stands out so imposingly from the dull townsfolk that Jimmy and Rose decide to follow her, infatuated with knowing everything about her. They pursue her to the beach and at last Renee speaks to them. When she looks at Jimmy, he's at once infatuated with this mystifying woman. Rose, who has feelings for Jimmy herself, decides to make him jealous by sleeping with a young lion tamer from a travelling circus (although she claims her real motivation was to set the animals free). Renee is eventually revealed to be Jimmy's mother, whom his father, Sam, had claimed was dead.
The film got mixed reviews upon its release in 1991. Critic Roger Ebert gave the film a two star rating out of four saying, "Strange, how a movie of such delicate romantic sensibilities could go astray because of a heavy-handed plot." However, the film currently holds a 63% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with five reviewers giving positive reviews and three critics giving it a bad review.
The Miracle was released on 3 July 1991 in the United States and made $12,076 in its opening weekend. The film made a mere $835,519 all together when it ended its run on 10 October 1991 with its widest release being in 41 theatres.
After the film's theatrical run, the film was released on videocassette in January 1992 by Live Home Video and around the same time in Canada by Cineplex Odeon and MCA.
- The Irish Filmography 1896-1996; Red Mountain Press (Dublin); 1996. Page 202
- "Berlinale: 1991 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- Brenner, Paul. "The Miracle - Plot synopsis". Allmovie. Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- Ebert, Roger (19 July 1991). "The Miracle". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on 28 July 2009. Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- "The Miracle (1991)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- "The Miracle (1991)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 28 July 2009.