The Marva Collins Story
The Marva Collins Story is a 1981 American Hallmark Hall of Fame television film about the life of Chicago-based African-American teacher Marva Collins. It stars Cicely Tyson as Collins and Morgan Freeman as her husband, Clarence.
|The Marva Collins Story|
|Screenplay by||Clifford Campion|
|Directed by||Peter Levin|
|Narrated by||Ed Asner|
|Theme music composer||Fred Karlin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Marian Rees|
|Cinematography||Don H. Birnkrant|
|Running time||100 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hallmark Hall of Fame|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television|
|Original release||December 1, 1981|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2018)
- Cicely Tyson as Marva Collins
- Morgan Freeman as Clarence Collins
- Roderick Wimberly as Martin Luther Jones
- Mashaune Hardy as Cindy Collins
- Brett Bouldin as Patrick Collins
- Samuel Muhammad Jr. as Eric Collins
- Dianne Kirksey as Cynthia Rawls
- Frankie Hill as Ida Banbower
- Marsha Warfield as Lela Boland
- Jimmie F. Skaggs as Chester Boland
- Duke Thorbs as Eddie Banbower
- Ed Asner as Narrator
Tyson's performance garnered her a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie.
- Roberts, Sam (28 June 2015). "Marva Collins, Educator Who Aimed High for Poor, Black Students, Dies at 78". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- Briscoe, Tony (25 June 2015). "Marva Collins, renowned educator, dies at 78". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- O'Connor, John J. (1 December 1981). "TV: MARVA COLLINS, UNUSUAL TEACHER". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "Picks and Pans Review: The Marva Collins Story". People. 30 November 1981. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "Cicely Tyson". WBLS. 27 September 2017. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "Blacks Make Big Showing In '82 Emmy Nominations". Jet. 23 August 1982. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- Roberts, Jerry (2009). Encyclopedia of Television Film Directors. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 9780810863781.page 334