The Main Event/Fight
"The Main Event/Fight" is a 1979 medley recorded by Barbra Streisand. The song is the title track and first and only single issued from the LP, The Main Event. The album is the soundtrack for the movie, The Main Event starring Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. The song became the first of two major disco-styled hits for Streisand, the other being "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)," a duet with Donna Summer later the same year.
|"The Main Event/Fight"|
|Single by Barbra Streisand|
|from the album The Main Event|
|B-side||"The Main Event/Fight (instrumental)"|
"The Main Event/Fight" spent four weeks at number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. In Canada it reached number five. It was also a major Adult Contemporary hit, reaching number two and number one in those nations, respectively. The song did not chart outside North America and was largely left out of recurrent rotation, having among the highest amount of drop-off in radio airplay of the hits of 1979 (Streisand's other singles of that year also fared poorly in maintaining airplay).
Certifications and salesEdit
- Gold (U.S.)
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1979-09-15. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Ross, Sean (June 10, 2020). "Made for dancin' but not built to last: the lost songs of 1979". RadioInsight.com. Retrieved June 10, 2020.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- http://tropicalglen.com/Archives/70s_files/19790901.html CASH BOX Top 100 Singles, September 1, 1979
- "Top Singles – Volume 32, No. 13, December 22, 1979". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1979/Top 100 Songs of 1979". musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1979, December 29, 1979". Retrieved 2017-01-18.