Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies(Redirected from The Journal of Roman Studies)
Work of the societyEdit
The society produces two annual publications, the Journal of Roman Studies, which contains articles and book reviews dealing with the Roman world in general, and Britannia, which has articles and reviews specifically on Roman Britain.
Grants of the society include: grants for summer schools, archaeology grants (through excavation grants and a biennial conference) and grants for schools for teaching about the Roman world.
There is a programme of public lectures in London, and others outside London arranged with local branches of the Classical Association.
List of PresidentsEdit
- Francis J. Haverfield (1911–1916)
- James S. Reid (1916–1921)
- George Macdonald (1921–1926)
- Henry Stuart Jones (1926–1929)
- Frank Adcock (1929–1931)
- Norman H. Baynes (1931–1934)
- Hugh Last (1934–1937)
- Idris Bell (1937–1943)
- Martin Charlesworth (1943–1948)
- Ronald Syme (1948–1952)
- A.H.M. Jones (1952–1955
- Margery Venables Taylor CBE, MA, FSA (1955-1958)
- Sir Ian Richmond (1958 to 1961)
- Frank Walbank (1961–1965)
- Arnaldo Momigliano (1965–1968)
- J. P. V. D. Balsdon (1968 to 1971)
- Alexander H. McDonald (1971–1974)
- A. Nicholas Sherwin-White (1974–1977)
- A. Leo F. Rivet (1977–1980)
- Peter A. Brunt (1980–1983)
- Sheppard S. Frere (1983–1986)
- Joyce M. Reynolds (1986–1989)
- Fergus G. B. Millar (1989–1992)
- T. Peter Wiseman (1992–1995)
- Averil Cameron (1995–1998)
- John S. Richardson (1998–2001)
- Alan K. Bowman (2001–2005)
- Michael Fulford (2005-2008)
- Dominic Rathbone (2012–2015)
- Catharine Edwards (2015–2018)
- Tim Cornell (2018−
- Beard, Mary (June 4, 2010). "Toga party and figs at the British Museum". The Times.
- Presidents of the Roman Society 1910–2010 are listed in C. Stray, "'Patriots and Professors': A Century of Roman Studies".
- Russell, James. "LES GRANDS NUMISMATES: George Macdonald (1862-1940; Kt 1927)" (PDF). Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- Stray (2010) has "Frank A. Walbank". The "Proceedings for the Society For the Promotion of Roman Studies 1960–1961", however, correctly report Frank W. Walbank as the new president.
- Professor Dominic Rathbone. King's College London. Retrieved 19 May 2015.