The Heat Is On (Glenn Frey song)
"The Heat Is On" is a song written by Harold Faltermeyer and Keith Forsey, and recorded by Glenn Frey for the American film Beverly Hills Cop (1984). The song was published as a single and as the sixth track of the album Beverly Hills Cop: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack (1984).
|"The Heat Is On"|
|Single by Glenn Frey|
|from the album Beverly Hills Cop (soundtrack)|
|B-side||"Shoot Out" by Harold Faltermeyer|
|Length||3:45 (7" / album)|
|Glenn Frey singles chronology|
According to Frey, he was invited to an early screening of the film, and about two months later was sent a demo of a song written by Keith Forsey and Harold Faltermeyer to be used in the film to see if he was interested in singing the song. Frey agreed, and recorded the vocal part in one day. The following day he played the guitar and recorded the background vocals, and was paid $15,000 for the work.
The mid-to-up-tempo recording featured a steady drumbeat, synthesizer, and guitar, with a repeated saxophone riff framing the lyrical message. The guitar solo is played by Frey himself.
The song became a major hit single, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in March 1985, behind "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. It was also popular internationally, reaching No. 2 on the Australian Singles Chart in 1985 and gaining peaks of No. 8 on the Canadian Singles Chart and No. 12 on the UK Singles Chart. In the United States, it is the highest charting solo single by any member of the Eagles.
The music video for the song received heavy MTV airplay. It showed a film editor assembling scenes for Beverly Hills Cop while Frey and a band played the song in the adjacent room, with action scenes from the movie then directly interspersed. Among the musicians shown in the video is saxophone player Beverly Dahlke-Smith (the actual recording being made by session horn player David Woodford) and Frey's long-time drummer, Michael Huey.
|1.||"The Heat Is On"||Keith Forsey, Harold Faltermeyer||3:45|
|2.||"Shoot Out"||Harold Faltermeyer||2:44|
|1.||"The Heat Is On (extended version)"||6:04|
|2.||"The Heat Is On (dance version)"||Brian Reeves||5:40|
|3.||"The Heat Is On (dub version)"||Brian Reeves||2:39|
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||27|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||27|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||8|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||4|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||19|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||22|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||12|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||4|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||36|
- Travis Smiley. "Glenn Frey Tribute – Part 1". PBS.
- site . Musicradar.com. Retrieved 29 Maggio 2012.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications), page 244.
- UK Singles Chart info Chartstats.com. Retrieved 3 April 2009.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Ultratop.be – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Austriancharts.at – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0497." RPM. Library and Archives Canada.
- "Lescharts.com – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Glenn Frey Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Glenn Frey: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Glenn Frey Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Glenn Frey Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard.
- "Glenn Frey Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.