The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice
The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice, sometimes shortened to An Extra Slice, is a British comedy television show made by the BBC and filmed at The London Studios as a spin-off from the reality TV hit series The Great British Bake Off which airs on BBC One. Hosted by Jo Brand, the show began airing on 8 August 2014, two days after the premiere episode of the fifth series of main show. In April 2017, it was announced that the series and Brand would follow the main show to Channel 4 from 2017.
|The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice|
|Presented by||Jo Brand|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||3|
|No. of episodes||32|
|Location(s)||The London Studios|
|Running time||30 minutes
40 minutes (Comic Relief special)
|Production company(s)||Love Productions|
|Original network||BBC Two (2014-16)|
|Original release||8 August 2014– present|
|Related shows||The Great British Bake Off|
An episode usually starts off with Brand showing one or two clips of unseen footage from the tent, usually humorous outtakes. Afterwards, she interviews the celebrity guests, discusses what happened in the tent that week, shows what bakes viewers have sent in, and shows what bakes the audience have done for the panel. Around halfway through the program, the most recently eliminated baker joins the show, being interviewed again by Brand. They also bring on one of their "less-successful bakes" (usually from the week in which they were eliminated), which Brand and the panel normally judge. After leaving, Brand concludes the show by showing a glimpse of what will happen in the next episode of the main show.
The only exception to an eliminated baker being invited onto the programme was in week six, when no baker was eliminated. Instead, Diana Beard, who had previously left, was invited on.
The show returned for a second run, beginning on 7 August 2015. It returned again for a third series on 24 August, 2016.
The celebrity panel typically (though not always) consists of a professional baker/chef, a celebrity who does baking as a pastime, and a comedian. In the final episode of each series, Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry make an appearance on the panel.
- Sarah Deen (2014-07-18). "'Cake just got bigger': New Great British Bake Off teaser lands | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- Hyland, Karen (2014-07-06). "The Great British Bake-off: BBC2 offers up An Extra Slice! - Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "Jo Brand to front Great British Bake Off BBC Two spinoff An Extra Slice - Great British Bake Off News - Reality TV". Digital Spy. 2014-07-23. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- 24 July 2014 (2014-07-24). "Jo Brand to host Bake Off spin-off". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "Jo Brand hosts new Great British Bake Off spin-off, An Extra Slice | News | TV News | What's on TV". Whatsontv.co.uk. 2014-07-23. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- Webb, Claire (2014-07-23). "The Great British Bake Off to get Apprentice-style spin-off An Extra Slice presented by Jo Brand". Radiotimes.com. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "BBC Two Orders 'Great British Bake Off' Companion Series Fronted By Jo Brand". TVWise. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "Jo Brand to host Great British Bake Off spin-off An Extra Slice - Television News". Best Daily. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- Falconer, Daniel (2014-07-23). "Jo Brand joins The Great British Bake Off team for sister show". Femalefirst.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-20.