The Goodbye People (film)
The Goodbye People is a 1984 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Herb Gardner, based on his 1968 play The Goodbye People. The film stars Judd Hirsch, Martin Balsam, Pamela Reed, Vincent Gugleotti, Gene Saks and Ron Silver. First screened at the Toronto International Film Festival in 1984, the film was released on January 31, 1986, by Embassy Pictures.
|The Goodbye People|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Herb Gardner|
|Produced by||Mel Howard|
David V. Picker
|Screenplay by||Herb Gardner|
|Based on||The Goodbye People|
by Herb Gardner
|Edited by||Rick Shaine|
Coney Island Productions
Castle Hill Productions
|Distributed by||Embassy Pictures|
This article needs a plot summary. (July 2018)
The Variety reviewer wrote: "Based on his late 1960s stage flop of the same name, neither time nor the transferal of media has improved the story of three eccentric losers who band together in hopes of changing their luck... The uneasy alliance between the characters is treated in a glib fashion by Gardner." The reviewer for People wrote: "The three make a wonderfully human trio, playing off and to each other's eccentricities with warmth and humor. First-time director Herb Gardner, who also wrote the play of the same name, proves equally adept behind the pen and the camera... the movie, shot on location, offers a beautifully nostalgic portrait of Coney Island, the skeletons of its once-monumental attractions creating a dual sense of foreboding and serenity. 'The Goodbye People' meets these contradictions head-on, turning a story of life and death into a witty celebration of spirit."
- Maslin, Janet (1986-01-31). "Movie Review - - The Screen: Nostalgia In 'Goodbye People'". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- Charles Champlin (1986-02-20). "Gardner Says Hello To Those 'Goodbye People'". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "Picks and Pans Review: The Goodbye People". People.com. 1986-02-03. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- Staff. "Film Review. 'The Goodbye People'" Variety, December 31, 1983
- Novak, Ralph; Cunneff, Tom; and Hellman, Ira. "Picks and Pans Review: 'The Goodbye People' people.com, February 3, 1986, Vol. 25, No.5
|This film article about a 1980s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|