The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo is a humorous autobiographical book by American stand-up comedian and actress Amy Schumer. It topped The New York Times Best Seller list shortly after its release in 2016.
|August 16, 2016|
|Media type||Hardcover, Paperback, Audiobook|
The book addresses subjects such as gun violence in the United States, sexual assault and consent, domestic violence, as well as more personal issues such as her troubled relationship with her mother, and her father's multiple sclerosis.
The book received generally favorable reviews from critics. Isabella Biedenharn of Entertainment Weekly gave the book a B+, writing that the book was "full of advice—and not just the tongue-in-cheek kind you might expect from a stand-up comedian" and that it was "much more like a straightforward memoir than even [Schumer] appears to believe", summing up her review stating that the book was "far less a portable joke factory than it is a real, deep dive into Schumer’s life."
Heidi Stevens of the Chicago Tribune wrote that when a celebrity "offers a self-reveal" it's "an exercise in either vanity or courage", but that Schumer's was "mostly the latter", and that "even the parts that veer into the former are witty enough to make you glad you stuck around." Lincee Ray of the Associated Press said that "readers will laugh and cry, and may put the book down from moments of honesty that result in uncomfortable realistic details from her life."
- Raynor, Madeline. "Amy Schumer: Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo tops the New York Times bestseller list". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Biedenharn, Isabella. "'The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo' by Amy Schumer: EW Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Romano, Nick. "Amy Schumer: The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo book cover". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Stevens, Heidi. "Amy Schumer has her own 'Back' in new book". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Ray, Lincee. "Schumer keeps it real in 'Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo'". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo on Amy Schumer's official website