The Girl on a Motorcycle
The Girl on a Motorcycle (French: La motocyclette), also known in the United States as Naked Under Leather, is a 1968 British-French erotic romantic drama film starring Alain Delon and Marianne Faithfull and featuring Roger Mutton, Marius Goring and Catherine Jourdan. It was listed to compete at the 1968 Cannes Film Festival but the festival was cancelled due to the May 1968 events in France. The Girl on a Motorcycle redefined the leather jacket for motorcyclists into a full body suit that Marianne Faithfull wore in the film. It was the first film to receive an X rating in the United States.
|The Girl on a Motorcycle|
French theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jack Cardiff|
|Produced by||William Sassoon|
|Screenplay by||Ronald Duncan|
Thought sequences dialogue:
|Story by||Jack Cardiff|
|Based on||La Motocyclette|
by André Pieyre de Mandiargues
|Music by||Les Reed|
|Edited by||Peter Musgrave|
Société Nouvelle de Cinématographie
|Distributed by||British Lion Films (UK)|
Société Nouvelle de Cinématographie (France)
Warner Bros.-Seven Arts
Claridge Pictures (US)
|Box office||626,331 admissions (France)|
Newly married Rebecca leaves her husband's Alsatian bed on her prized motorbike—her symbol of freedom and escape—to visit Daniel, her lover in Heidelberg. En route, she indulges in psychedelic and erotic reveries as she relives her changing relationship with the two men, before crashing into a truck at the end.
- Alain Delon as Daniel
- Marianne Faithfull as Rebecca
- Roger Mutton as Raymond
- Marius Goring as Rebecca's Father
- Catherine Jourdan as Catherine
- Jean Leduc as Jean
- Jacques Marin as Pump Attendant
- André Maranne as French Superintendent
- Bari Jonson as First French Customs Officer
- Arnold Diamond as Second French Customs Officer
- John G. Heller as German Customs Officer
- Marika Rivera as German Waitress
- Richard Blake as 1st Student
- Chris Williams as 2nd Student
- Colin West as 3rd Student
- Faithfull's riding double in medium to distant shots was British GP champion Bill Ivy.
The film was the sixth most popular movie in general release in Britain during 1968.
Home media releasesEdit
- Pieyre de Mandiargues, André (1963). La Motocyclette. Paris: Gallimard. OCLC 3565796.
- Box Office information for film at Box Office Story
- "Festival de Cannes: The Girl on a Motorcycle". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 5 April 2009.
- Quilleriet, Anne-Laure. The Leather Book. New York: Assouline, 2004.
- "'X' Marks Spot For Only 1 of 1st MPAA Group: W7 'Girl'". Daily Variety. 22 October 1968. p. 1.
- "John Wayne-money-spinner" The Guardian (31 December 1968)