The Gazette (Cedar Rapids)
The Gazette is a daily newspaper published in the American city of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The first paper was published as an evening journal, branded the Evening Gazette, on Wednesday, January 10, 1883, and sold for 3¢; it presently sells for 75¢. The newspaper is distributed throughout northeastern and east-central Iowa, including the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City metropolitan areas. It was formerly called The Cedar Rapids Gazette. As of March 2013, The Gazette has a circulation of 43,963 for the daily edition and 55,449 for the Sunday edition.
The July 27, 2005 front page
of The Gazette
|Owner(s)||The Gazette Company|
|Headquarters||500 3rd Ave SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1608
The locally owned Gazette Company (formerly "Gazette Communications" and "SourceMedia Group") publishes The Gazette and two weekly newspapers, the Penny Saver in Linn County and the Community News Advertiser in Johnson County. The Gazette Company owned KCRG-TV9 (the call letters stand for Cedar Rapids Gazette) until selling it to Gray Television, with the transfer being completed on October 1, 2015. The company also owned KCRG radio (1600 AM) until selling the station to the owners of another local broadcaster, KZIA FM 102.9. The sale was completed on October 31, 2006, with the radio station's call letters changing to KGYM as a result. SourceMedia Group also owned Decisionmark, which runs the TitanTV website, until selling it to a syndicate led by Turnstone Capital and Capitol Broadcasting Company.
In 2008, SourceMedia Group employed roughly 600 people. On February 24, 2009, company officials announced a reorganization that would result in the loss of 100 jobs.
Joe Hladky serves as chair of the company's board of directors, while Chuck Peters is the president and CEO.[when?]
- Alliance for Audited Media[dead link]
- Trappe, Christoph. "Source Media Group News About Us". SourceMedia Group. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-05-28. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- "KCRG-TV9 sold to Gray Television", KCRG.com, Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Gazette Communications, September 1, 2015, archived from the original on September 3, 2015, retrieved September 1, 2015
- "Media: KZIA Completes Purchase, Renames Station KGYM-AM". The Gazette (Cedar Rapids). 2006-11-01. p. 8B.
- Kramer, Staci D. "Syndicate Buys Control Of TV Tech/Data Company Decisionmark Control; Name Changes To TitanTV Media". Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- Waddington, Lynda. The Iowa Independent. "Gazette Company Announces 100 Layoffs". Retrieved 2009-08-04.