The Family Corleone
The Family Corleone is a 2012 novel by Ed Falco, based on an unproduced screenplay by Mario Puzo, who died in 1999. It is the prequel to Puzo's The Godfather. It was published by Grand Central Publishing and released May 8, 2012.
|Publisher||Grand Central Publishing|
|May 8, 2012|
|Media type||Print (hardback) and audiobook|
|Preceded by||The Godfather's Revenge|
The novel, set in the Great Depression, is the story of how Vito Corleone consolidated his power to become the most powerful Don in New York City. Also, it tells of Sonny Corleone's inauguration into the family business and Tom Hagen's graduation from being an adopted member of the Corleone family before becoming the consigliere. The novel also reveals how Luca Brasi first became associated with the Corleones, and introduces a number of new characters, including the crime boss Giuseppe Mariposa.
Reception for the novel was mixed to positive, with George De Stefano in New York Journal of Books arguing that "Ed Falco deftly pulls off a feat of literary necromancy, bringing back to life one of the most iconic figures in American popular culture: Don Vito Corleone." The Washington Post's Patrick Anderson wrote, "Falco has captured Puzo's rich prose style and eye for detail. If you want to read another installment of the Corleone story, The Family Corleone is a solid piece of work." Kirkus Reviews gave it a positive review, calling it: "A worthy addition to the lurid world of the Five Families."
The estate of Puzo had sought to keep Paramount Pictures from producing a feature film based on the novel. This has been resolved, with Paramount gaining the rights to make more Godfather films (as of early 2018, no plans had been announced).
- Wilson, Craig (6 May 2012). "Prequel lays out life before 'The Godfather'". USA Today. Archived from the original on 5 February 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Connelly, Sherryl. "'The Family Corleone,' a prequel to 'Godfather'". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Audio Review: The Family Corleone". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Book Review: The Family Corleone". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- De Stefano, Phil. "Ed Falco: The Family Corleone". New York Journal of Books. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Andersen, Patrick (8 May 2012). "Book World: 'The Family Corleone,' by Ed Falco, a prequel to 'The Godfather'". Washington Post. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Review: The Family Corleone". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Schulder, Michael (4 September 2012). "CNN Profiles: Ed Falco's prequel to 'The Godfather'". CNN Radio. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Patten, Dominic (21 December 2012). "Paramount & Puzo Estate Settle 'Godfather' Suit".