The Fake (1953 film)
The Fake is a 1953 British crime film directed by Godfrey Grayson and starring Dennis O'Keefe, Coleen Gray and Hugh Williams. Its plot concerns an American detective who tries to solve the theft of a priceless painting from the Tate Gallery in London.
|Directed by||Godfrey Grayson|
|Produced by||Steven Pallos|
|Written by||Bridget Boland |
|Based on||an original story by James Daplyn|
|Music by||Matyas Seiber|
|Edited by||Charles Hasse|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|5 June 1953 (UK)|
25 November 1953 (US)
When Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna and Child arrives at London's Tate Gallery for a special exhibition, American Paul Mitchell (Dennis O'Keefe) is assigned to guard it. However, on examination, Paul realizes that the painting has been replaced with a fake. Joining forces with Tate employee Mary Mason (Coleen Gray), Paul attempts to find the original and collect the museum's $50,000 reward for its recovery.
- Dennis O'Keefe - Paul Mitchell
- Coleen Gray - Mary Mason
- Hugh Williams - Sir Richard Aldingham
- Guy Middleton - Smith
- John Laurie - Henry Mason
- Eliot Makeham - Pavement Artist
- Gerald Case - Peter Randall
- Seymour Green - Weston
- Stanley Van Beers - Cartwright
- Dora Bryan - Barmaid
- Ellen Pollock - Miss Fossett
- Philip Ray - Bearded Tramp
- Morris Sweden - Pettigrew
- Michael Ward - Art Salesman
- Arnold Bell - Police Inspector
- Clifford Buckton - Lodging House Keeper
- Marianne Noelle - Girl Student
- Leslie Phillips - Boy Student
- Billie Whitelaw - Waitress
- Tom Clegg - 1st Thug
- Guy Deghy - Stranger
- John Wadham - Thug
- Frank Atkinson - Tate Gallery Attendant
- Johnnie Schofield - Tate Gallery Attendant
- Leonard Sharp - Tate Gallery Attendants
- "The Fake". BFI. Archived from the original on 14 January 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "The Fake (1953) - Godfrey Grayson - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie".
- "The Fake (1953) - Overview - TCM.com".
- "The Fake (1953) - Articles - TCM.com".