The Everest is an Australian Turf Club Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race run over 1,200 metres on turf at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, Australia. Run for the first time in 2017 as a Special Conditions class since it is not yet eligible for Group race status.
|Race type||Thoroughbred flat|
|Qualification||$600,000 entry fee|
|Weight||Weight for Age|
|Purse||$15 million (2021)|
The race has an unusual entry fee structure, similar to that of the Pegasus World Cup. Twelve "slots" are sold for $600,000 each, which represents a slot in the starting gate for a then unspecified horse. The slot holder then has the right to race, lease, contract or share a starter, or sell their place in the gate. For example, in the 2017 running, slotholder James Harron struck a deal with the owners of Redzel to use his spot to enter their horse, who went on to win the race.
Prior to the 2018 event, the race attracted criticism from the Australian public and media after organisers of the event successfully lobbied for the sails of the Sydney Opera House to be used as an advertisement for the race. Protests against this proposal and government support of it were held at the Opera House along with submission of a petition with over 300,000 signatures collected in less than a week in October 2018, however the pre-race event still went ahead in a modified format.
|2017||Redzel||5||Gelding||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter & Paul Snowden||Triple Crown syndicate||1:08.36|
|2018||Redzel||6||Gelding||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter & Paul Snowden||Triple Crown syndicate||1:12.03|
|2019||Yes Yes Yes||3||Colt||Glen Boss||Chris Waller||Coolmore Stud et al||1:07.32|
|2020||Classique Legend||5||Gelding||Kerrin McEvoy||Les Bridge||Bon Ho||1:08.27|
|2021||Nature Strip||7||Gelding||James McDonald||Chris Waller||RAE Lyons et al.||1:09.11|
- "Everest turnover smashes records". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Everest Prize Money increase". JustHorseRacing. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- The Everest, World's Richest Turf Event Australian Turf Club 1 February 2017
- Royal Randwick to host $10m Everest spring at Spring Carnival - making it the richest race on turf Fox Sports 1 February 2017
- The Everest: Sydney to hold the richest turf race in the world ABC News 2 February 2017
- "Redzel climbs to seal Everest". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Opera House brand guru delivers Everest-sized slap in face to Racing NSW". www.9news.com.au. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Pitt, Helen (9 October 2018). "Sydney Opera House 'action' to deflect Everest light show". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "How the Everest Opera House showdown will play out". NewsComAu. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Race 8 The Everest Racing Australia 14 October 2017
- "Redzel reigns supreme again in The Everest". www.racenet.com.au. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "Rubick colt wins record breaking $14 million everest". breednet.com.au. Retrieved 20 October 2019.
- "2020 Everest". racingpost.com. Retrieved 16 October 2021.
- "2021 Everest". racing.com. Retrieved 16 October 2021.