The Discourse on the Eighth and Ninth
The Discourse on the Eighth and Ninth is an ancient document, one of three Hermetic texts of the mostly Gnostic Nag Hammadi findings. It is the 30th tractate in the library at large, the sixth in codex VI.
Insufficient information has survived from the manuscript to reconstruct the original title. Alternative titles include The Eighth Reveals The Ninth (from the text itself), Discourse on the Eighth and Ninth (J.M.Robinson) or The Ogdoad and Ennead. Dated to a period possibly of the second century CE (D.M. Parrott 1988), it is a reasoned assumption that the textual information found written in Coptic had been translated from a Greek original.
...the entire eighth, my son, and the souls that are in it, and the angels, sing a hymn in silence...
(words used in Codex VI)Edit
- nag-hammadi.com manuscripts [Retrieved 2011-09-25] Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- James M. Robinson, ed., translated James Brashler, Peter A. Dirkse, and Douglas M. Parrott The Nag Hammadi Library from The Gnostic society library: gnosis.org [Retrieved 2011-09-25]
- naghammadi.org traductions Archived 2011-08-30 at the Wayback Machine
- James McConkey Robinson Google Books The Coptic Gnostic Library: A Complete Edition of the Nag Hammadi ..., Volume 3 [Retrieved 2011-09-25]
- Daniel Merkur (University of Toronto) Stages of Ascension in Hermetic Rebirth. pp. 86–91. Retrieved 2011-12-14. This article cites D.M. Parrott 1988, E.H. Pagels 1979, J.M. Robinson 1988, BP Copenhaver 1992, H. Corbin 1972, A.D. Nock 1933.
- Claremont University Consortium Brown, S. Kent,Atiya, Aziz Suryal,1898-1988(editor-in-chief) ccdl.libraries.claremont.edu
- Martin P.Nilson The new Conception of the universe in late Greek Paganism -taken from J.M.Robinson retrieved 20:00
David M.Scholer scribd.com p. 214-216 of Nag Hammadi and Manichaean studies-Nag Hammadi Bibliography 1995-2006 [Retrieved 2011-09-27]
gnosis.org Translated by James Brashler, Peter A. Dirkse, and Douglas M. Parrott Selection made from James M. Robinson, ed., The Nag Hammadi Library,1990(The Gnosis Archive) [Retrieved 2011-09-27] & scribd.com (Free ebooks online) [Retrieved 2011-09-27]