The Deluge (Polish: Potop) is a 1974 Polish historical drama film directed by Jerzy Hoffman. The film is based on the 1886 novel of the same name by Henryk Sienkiewicz. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 47th Academy Awards, but lost to Amarcord. The film is the third-most popular in the history of Polish cinema, with more than 27.6 million tickets sold in its native country by 1987. Further 30.5 million were sold in the Soviet Union.
|Directed by||Jerzy Hoffman|
|Written by||Jerzy Hoffman|
|Based on||The Deluge|
by Henryk Sienkiewicz
|Edited by||Zenon Piórecki|
|Music by||Kazimierz Serocki|
The film is set in the seventeenth century during the Swedish invasion of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in the years 1655 to 1658, known as The Deluge, which was eventually thwarted by the Polish-Lithuanian forces. However, a quarter of the Polish-Lithuanian population died through war and plague, and the country's economy was devastated.
The original film was digitally restored and shown on Polish T.V. in December, 2013. For the film's fortieth anniversary, a new cut named Potop Redivivus was released in the Fall of 2014, which is two hours shorter than the original.
- Daniel Olbrychski as Andrzej Kmicic
- Małgorzata Braunek as Oleńka Billewiczówna
- Tadeusz Łomnicki as Michał Wołodyjowski
- Kazimierz Wichniarz as Jan Onufry Zagłoba
- Władysław Hańcza as Janusz Radziwiłł
- Leszek Teleszyński as Bogusław Radziwiłł
- Ryszard Filipski as Soroka
- Wiesława Mazurkiewicz as Aunt Kulwiecówna
- Franciszek Pieczka as Kiemlicz
- Bruno O'Ya as Józwa Butrym
- Bogusz Bilewski as Kulwiec-Hippocentaurus
- Andrzej Kozak as Rekuć Leliwa
- Stanisław Łopatowski as Ranicki
- Stanisław Michalski as Jaromir Kokosiński
- Krzysztof Kowalewski as Roch Kowalski
- Stanisław Jasiukiewicz as Augustyn Kordecki
- Wiesław Gołas as Stefan Czarniecki
- Piotr Pawłowski as John II Casimir of Poland
- Leon Niemczyk as Charles X Gustav of Sweden
- Arkadiusz Bazak as Kuklinowski
- Ferdynand Matysik as Zamoyski
- "The 47th Academy Awards (1975) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Haltof, Marek. Polish National Cinema. Berghahn Books (2002). ISBN 9781571812766. p. 97.
- Потоп. kinopoisk.ru.
- A Commonwealth of Diverse Cultures - Poland's Heritage
- "Jest już pierwszy zwiastun "Potop Redivivus". Zobacz fragment odświeżonego klasyka Jerzego Hoffmana". Gazeta Wyborcza. 2014-08-22.