The Challenge (1960 film)
|Directed by||John Gilling|
|Produced by||John Temple-Smith|
|Written by||John Gilling|
|Starring||Jayne Mansfield and Anthony Quayle|
|Music by||Bill McGuffie|
|Edited by||Alan Osbiston and John Victor-Smith|
|Distributed by||J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors (UK)|
|17 May 1960 (London) (UK)|
Mansfield plays Billy, the ruthless gang leader who persuades Maxton to take part in a big robbery. Maxton is shopped and convicted of robbery. Maxton serves his time, returns home to his son. The gang want the money which he buried but Maxton wants nothing more to do with it or them. The gang then kidnap Maxton's son and demand the money as ransom.There follows a race against time to save Maxton's son. At the end of the film, a policeman tells Maxton that the stolen money had been found 3 years previously.
- Jayne Mansfield ... Billy
- Anthony Quayle ... Jim
- Carl Möhner ... Kristy
- Peter Reynolds ... Buddy
- Barbara Mullen ... Ma Piper
- Robert Brown ... Bob Crowther
- Dermot Walsh ... Detective Sergeant Willis
- Patrick Holt ... Max
- Edward Judd ... Detective Sergeant Gittens
- John Bennett ... Spider
- Lorraine Clewes ... Mrs. Rick
- Percy Herbert ... Shop Steward
- John Stratton ... Rick
- Liane Marelli ... Striptease Artiste
- Bill McGuffie ... Nightclub Pianist
- Peter Pike ... Joey
- TV Guide wrote, "most of the actors, with the exception of Quayle, are pretty stiff, and the story is hardly inspired."
- Sky Movies noted, "filled with such familiar leading men of British 'B' features as Peter Reynolds, Edward Judd, Dermot Walsh and Patrick Holt. Some of the best moments, though, are provided by Hollywood's Jayne Mansfield as the criminal mastermind, demure in black wig and horn-rimmed glasses as she does her 'firm's' books by day, but slinking around in sequins by night with a smile and a song."
- "The Challenge | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Weekly Variety Magazine; 4 November, 1959 issue; Page 17
- Daily Variety Magazine; 18 December, 1959 issue; Page 2
- "It Takes A Thief Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "The Challenge - Sky Movies HD". Skymovies.sky.com. 14 May 2003. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
|This article related to a British film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s crime film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|