The Brian Setzer Orchestra
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Brian Setzer Orchestra (sometimes known by its initials BSO) is a swing and jump blues band formed in 1990 by Stray Cats frontman Brian Setzer. The group covered Louis Prima's "Jump Jive an' Wail", which appeared on Prima's 1957 album The Wildest!. The BSO's follow up single was "Gettin' in the Mood."
The Brian Setzer Orchestra
The Brian Setzer Orchestra performing in the East Room of the White House
|Also known as||BSO|
|Genres||Swing revival, jump blues, rockabilly, rock and roll|
|Labels||Interscope, Hollywood, Surfdog|
|Associated acts||The Tomcats, Stray Cats, Brian Setzer and The Nashvillains|
Setzer grew up in Long Island, New York. In his youth, he played the euphonium and other brass instruments in school jazz bands. In the 1970s, he found ways to hear jazz and big band music at the Village Vanguard, but he was also drawn to blues, rock, punk, and rockabilly. He admired the jump blues of Louis Prima and Big Joe Turner, but also the rock and roll of Elvis Presley, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and Carl Perkins.
During the early 1980s, he led the rockabilly trio the Stray Cats and found popular and commercial success. After the band broke up, Setzer worked as a side man and on a solo career. In 1994, he released the debut album of the Brian Setzer Orchestra, which combined his rockabilly style with swing, big band, and jump blues. The orchestra had a hit on the Billboard singles chart with its cover version of "Jump, Jive an' Wail" by Louis Prima.
- The Brian Setzer Orchestra (1994)
- Guitar Slinger (1996)
- The Dirty Boogie (1998)
- Vavoom! (2000)
- Boogie Woogie Christmas (2002)
- Dig That Crazy Christmas (2005)
- Wolfgang's Big Night Out (2007)
- Songs from Lonely Avenue (2009)
- Rockin' Rudolph (2015)
Compilations and live albumsEdit
- Jumpin' East of Java (2001)
- Best of The Big Band (2002)
- Jump, Jive an' Wail: The Best of the Brian Setzer Orchestra 1994-2000 (2003)
- The Ultimate Collection (2004)
- The Best of Collection – Christmas Rocks! (2008)
- Ultimate Christmas Collection (2008)
- Don't Mess With a Big Band (Live!) (2010)
- Christmas Comes Alive! (2010)
- Brian Setzer Orchestra live In Japan (2001)
- Brian Setzer Orchestra Live: Christmas Extravaganza (2005)
- One Rockin' Night (2007) – Recorded in Montreal, 1995
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "The Brian Setzer Orchestra". AllMusic. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2013-12-20.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- DeRiso, Nick (August 2, 2015). "Brian Setzer Announces First Christmas Album in a Decade". Ultimate Classic Rock. Townsquare Media. Retrieved August 7, 2015.
- "Discography". Brian Setzer. Retrieved 2012-04-24.