The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar
The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar is a 1968 Canadian drama film, it was directed by Peter Pearson and written by Joan Finnigan. The 49-minute drama stars Chris Wiggins and Kate Reid, along with Margot Kidder in her first feature role. Produced by John Kemeny for the National Film Board of Canada, the film won eight awards at the Canadian Film Awards, including Film of the Year.
|The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar|
|Directed by||Peter Pearson|
|Produced by||John Kemeny|
|Written by||Joan Finnigan|
|Edited by||Michael McKennirey|
|Distributed by||National Film Board of Canada|
Produced for the NFB's Challenge for Change program, the film had initially been "pushed aside and ignored by CBC TV," according to Canadian film scholar Gerald Pratley, who called it: "A brilliant example of what our filmmakers could do if they had the opportunities and the material to replace the run-of-the-mill American films that dominate our theatres and television – the kind of inexpensive creativity private broadcasters continue to say they cannot afford."
One of the best English-Canadian docudramas from the 1960s, The Best Damn Fiddler is a realistic account of an itinerant bush worker (Chris Wiggins) living in the rural area of the Ottawa Valley who can't make enough money to feed his large family but nevertheless rejects government handouts. The oldest daughter (Margot Kidder) eventually leaves home to find work and a better future.
Canadian Film Awards – Film of the Year, Non-Feature Direction, Non-Feature Screenplay, Non-Feature Actor (Chris Wiggins), Non-Feature Cinematography (b+w), Non-Feature Editing, Non-Feature Art Direction
- "The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar". Collection. National Film Board of Canada. 1968. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- Pratley, Gerald (1987). Torn Sprockets. Mississauga: Associated University Presses. p. 103. ISBN 0-87413-194-4.
- "The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar". Canadian Film Encyclopedia. Film Reference Library. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- Maria Topalovich, And the Genie Goes To...: Celebrating 50 Years of the Canadian Film Awards. Stoddart Publishing, 2000. ISBN 0-7737-3238-1.
- Watch The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar at NFB.ca
- The Best Damn Fiddler from Calabogie to Kaladar on IMDb
|This article related to a Canadian film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|