The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love is the fourteenth season of ABC reality television series The Bachelor. The season premiere aired on January 4, 2010. The show features 31-year-old Jake Pavelka, a pilot from Dallas, Texas, courting 25 women.
|Presented by||Chris Harrison|
|No. of contestants||25|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||10 (including 2 specials)|
|Original release||January 4 –|
March 1, 2010
|Filming dates||October 16 –|
November 26, 2009
Pavelka finished in seventh place on season 5 of The Bachelorette featuring Jillian Harris. It is the first season of The Bachelor to be broadcast in high definition. The season concluded on March 1, 2010, with Pavelka choosing to propose to 23-year-old marketing rep Vienna Girardi. The couple ended their engagement in June 2010.
Biographical information according to ABC official series site, plus footnoted additions
|Vienna Girardi||23||Geneva, Florida||Marketing Representative||Winner||1|
|Tenley Molzahn||25||Newberg, Oregon||College Admissions||Runner-Up||2|
|Gia Allemand||26||Manorville, New York||Swimsuit Model||Week 7||3|
|Ali Fedotowsky||25||Williamstown, Massachusetts||Advertising Account Manager||Week 6||4 (quit)|
|Corrie Adamson||23||Kissimmee, Florida||Wardrobe Consultant||Week 5||5|
|Ashleigh Hunt||25||North Potomac, Maryland||Account Manager||Week 4||6–7|
|Jessica "Jessie" Sulidis||25||Oakville, Ontario||Cosmetic Sales Manager|
|Kathryn Sherlock||25||Lexington, Kentucky||Corporate Flight Attendant||8|
|Ella Nolan||30||La Follette, Tennessee||Hair Stylist||9|
|Elizabeth Kitt (NE)||29||Imperial, Nebraska||Nanny||Week 3||10–11|
|Valishia Savage||32||San Bernardino, California||Homemaker|
|Michelle Kujawa||26||Anaheim, California||Office Manager||12|
|Ashley Elmore||29||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania||Teacher||Week 2||13–14|
|Christina McCasland||25||Encinitas, California||Restaurant Manager|
|Rozlyn Papa||28||Richmond, Virginia||Model/Make-Up Artist||15 (DQ)|
|Alexa "Lex" McAllister||25||Galloway, Ohio||Entrepreneur||Week 1||16–25|
|Caitlyn McCabe||24||Winfield, Illinois||Spokesmodel|
|Channy Choch||29||Santa Rosa, California||Mortgage Loan Officer|
|Elizabeth Kreft (D.C.)||29||Union, Kentucky||Captain, Air National Guard|
|Emily Harkins||23||West Chester, Ohio||Fit Model|
|Kimberly Sullivan||24||Norman, Oklahoma||NBA Dancer|
|Kirsten Pittman||25||Aurora, Colorado||Waitress|
|Sheila Lidner||25||Scottsdale, Arizona||Commercial Pilot|
|Stephanie Mueller||24||Morris, Illinois||Dance Teacher|
|Tiana Kruzel||31||Calgary, Alberta||Medical Technician|
Future appearances Edit
Dancing with the Stars Edit
The Bachelorette Edit
Bachelor Pad Edit
Runner-up Tenley Molzahn, along with contestants Gia Allemand, Ashley Elmore, Elizabeth Kitt, Michelle Kujawa and Jessie Sulidis, returned for the inaugural season of Bachelor Pad. Kujawa was eliminated in week 1, Sulidis in week 2, Allemand in week 3, and Elmore in week 5. Kitt and her partner, Jesse Kovacs, were eliminated at the beginning of week 6, finishing in 3rd place. Molzahn and her partner, Kiptyn Locke, were eliminated at the end of week 6, finishing as the runners-up.
Pavelka, Allemand, Vienna Girardi, and Ella Nolan, returned for the second season of Bachelor Pad. Allemand quit in week 2, and Pavelka was eliminated in week 3. Nolan and her partner, Kirk DeWindt, were eliminated at the beginning of week 6, finishing in 4th place. Girardi and her partner, Kasey Kahl, were eliminated at the end of week 6, finishing in 3rd place.
Bachelor in Paradise Edit
Kujawa returned for the inaugural season of Bachelor in Paradise. She quit in week 1.
Molzahn returned for the second season of Paradise. She broke up with Joshua Albers in week 6.
Other appearances Edit
Call-out order Edit
|9||Elizabeth (D.C.)||Rozlyn||Jessie||Ashleigh H.||Ella|
|10||Alexa||Jessie||Ashleigh H.||Elizabeth (NE)
|13||Kimberly||Ashleigh H.||Ashley E.
- The contestant received the first impression rose
- The contestant received a rose during the date
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant was eliminated during the date
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant received a rose during the date but disqualified from the competition
- The contestant moved on to the next week by default
- The previously eliminated contestant asked for a chance to return the competition but denied
- The contestant won the competition
- In week 6, Ali decided to quit the competition, cancelling the upcoming rose ceremony. The remaining three contestants are listed in alphabetical order.
- Rozlyn was disqualified for having an inappropriate relationship with a show's producer.
|Title||Original air date||Prod.|
|119||1||"Week 1"||January 4, 2010||1401||9.54||3.3/8|
|There were no dates during the first week. Jake starts his quest for finding love in Los Angeles. Memorable moments include Ashley's stewardess costume. Jillian and Ed of The Bachelorette came to the mansion prior to the rose ceremony answering questions for the ladies. Tenley received the first impression rose and 10 ladies were sent home in the first rose ceremony.|
|120||2||"Week 2"||January 11, 2010||1402||10.50||3.6/9|
Group date: Corrie, Christina, Valishia, Gia, Rozlyn, and Ashleigh. They took part in an InStyle magazine photo shoot. At the party, they were sent to Shangri-La Hotel in Santa Monica. Rozlyn receives a rose.
Group date: Elizabeth (NE), Vienna, Ashley, Kathryn, and Jessie. The night before the date, Michelle threatened to leave the mansion since her name has not been on the date list, displaying bad behavior and she got very upset. The next day, they were taken to Six Flags Magic Mountain to have their fun at the amusement park. Elizabeth (NE) got a rose and watched fireworks with Jake.Other developments: In the middle of the cocktail party, Chris asks Rozlyn to talk outside. It was brought to Chris's attention that Rozlyn had an inappropriate relationship with one of the show's staffers and told her the staffer has been fired. The remainder of the cocktail party was cut short, ending during Jake's conversation with Christina. Rozlyn gives her rose back with only now two safe roses (Ali and Elizabeth (NE)). During "The Women Tell All" episode, she explained that she had trouble contacting her child and the staffer had supported her and allowed her to use his phone.
|121||3||"Week 3"||January 18, 2010||1403||10.66||3.8/9|
One-on-one date: Vienna. They take on a helicopter to San Gabriel Mountains for a bungee jump off the bridge. She receives a rose.
Group date: Corrie, Elizabeth (NE), Ali, Jessie, Michelle, Ashleigh, Tenley and Kathryn. They visit the comedy club in Hollywood. Jon Lovitz is asked to perform for the Bachelorettes a stand up comedy routine. Michelle is eliminated before the date is over, Jake not agreeing that her behavior wasn't acceptable.
One-on-one date: Ella. They go on a helicopter ride San Diego SeaWorld and she receives a pleasant surprise – her son, because Ella celebrated her birthday. Jake, Ella and her son spend the day together. She receives a rose.Cocktail party: All of the ladies. Elizabeth (NE) backstabbed Vienna her see a rose being given during a 1 on 1 date.
|122||4||"Week 4"||January 25, 2010||1404||11.47||3.9/10|
At the start of the episode, Chris Harrison tells the remaining ladies that they will be living in RV for their trip across the coast.
One-on-one date: Gia. They are taken to a beautiful winery in Santa Ynez. She receives a rose.
Group date: Corrie, Ali, Ashleigh, Jessie, Tenley and Vienna. They traveled to Pismo Beach for a wild day of dune buggying and sandsurfing. Jake talks Tenley about her relationship with her ex-husband and she receives the rose.
Two-on-one date: Ella and Kathryn. They take travel to Big Sur for an outdoor dinner. Neither got a rose and both of them were sent home, this has been the first time in The Bachelor history that no one receives a rose during a two-on-one date.
Other developments: The rose ceremony's location at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. Jake has a shocking difficult decision to eliminate only one person after already eliminated two people during a two-on-one date. Like the previous season, the Bachelorette eliminated two people at the rose ceremony instead of one with one rose taken away. As a result, the leading man eliminated Jessie and Ashleigh with Vienna given the last rose.
|123||5||"Week 5"||February 1, 2010||1405||11.73||4.1/10|
One-on-one date: Tenley. They went to Chinatown, and wrote messages on fortune cookies. Then, they had dinner at the top of Coit Tower. Tenley made it clear that she had traditional values about marriage and that she had only slept with her ex-husband. Tenley's previous marriage was obviously still affecting her during this date.
Two-on-one date: Gia and Vienna. They went to Castello di Amorosa in Napa Valley for an overnight stay and they had dinner together. After they went to their separate rooms, Vienna snuck into Jake's room to spend some extra time with him.
|124||6||"Week 6"||February 8, 2010||1406||12.35||4.1/10|
Gia and Jake toured New York City where they look pictures of sight-seeing locations together, including the Statue of Liberty and modeling poses. Ali and Jake visited her deceased grandmother's home. Tenley took Jake to the dance academy where she first learned how to dance. Vienna and Jake took a boat ride on a swampy river.
At the turn of the dramatic events, there was no rose ceremony and Ali left the competition early so she would not lose her job.
|125||7||"Week 7"||February 15, 2010[a]||1407||11.53||4.1/10|
Jake spends a night in the 'fantasy suite' with each of the final three contestants. Presumably he has intercourse with each of them which may have made it difficult for viewers to maintain friendly feelings towards Jake (especially as he asks Gia to leave at the rose ceremony and Tenley had only ever slept with her ex-husband). Gia and Jake go to a groove on Saint Lucia streets, Tenley and Jake took a helicopter ride on overlooking the island and have a plunge. Vienna and Jake rode a ship famously from Pirates of the Caribbean film series. Before the rose ceremony, Ali received a phone call and asked Jake to give another chance with him and Jake declined the offer. At the rose ceremony, Jake gives the roses to Tenley and Vienna, eliminating Gia.
|126||8||"The Women Tell All"||February 22, 2010[a]||N/A||11.27||3.9/10|
|127||9||"Week 8"||March 1, 2010||1408||15.15||5.3/14|
Jake introduces Tenley and Vienna to his family at Jalousie Bay, they meet with Jake's parents, two brothers and sisters-in-law. Having only one last chance date to select one to be his wife. Jake's family likes Vienna, with his mom and sisters-in-law, both approving of Tenley and Vienna. Jake and Vienna frolick in the mud at the hot springs. While Jake and Tenley snorkeled on a charter boat. Jake comes to his decision: he selects Vienna, leaving Tenley heartbroken.
|128||10||"After the Final Rose"||March 1, 2010||N/A||13.91||5.3/14|
After the Final Rose Edit
This is the special episode which airs after every finale. In season 14's segment, Jake told Chris Harrison about Bachelor Pad, Ali was chosen as the next bachelorette in the sixth season of The Bachelorette. Jake and Vienna were seen in a public appearance as a couple, Jeffrey Osborne sang "On the Wings of Love" at the closing of the show.
In June 2010, several months after their engagement, it was announced that Jake and Vienna Girardi had split.
Gia Allemand Edit
On August 14, 2013, third-place contestant Gia Allemand died after a reported suicide attempt. Several contestants as well as Pavelka expressed their condolences via Twitter, with Pavelka saying, "I am in complete shock and devastated to hear the news about Gia. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever known. And a very dear friend. My heart goes out to her family during this very difficult time. We have lost an angel today. I miss you Gia...".
Alexa McAllister Edit
On 16 February 2016, Alexa (Lex) McAllister died after an apparent suicide attempt in Columbus, Ohio, as reported by TMZ. Per E!News, the local police said that on 13 February they'd received a call in which it was claimed that McAllister had overdosed on prescription drugs. While McAllister was in a stable condition on her way to Grant Medical Center, then E!News got access to a police report, which stated that she had taken "a lot" of pills. Her family took her off life support after her health began to deteriorate. McAllister was 31. Pavelka tweeted his condolences on Twitter, "I'm so sad to hear about Alexa. Such a beautiful girl. My heart breaks for her family. Covering them in prayer during this rough time".
Jake Pavelka Edit
Jake Pavelka grew up in Denton, Texas, and attended University of North Texas and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. In his free time, he takes dancing lessons, woodworking, and has fun flying acrobatic planes and he is also a former child actor. Pavelka is an airline pilot, and took his first flying lessons at 12 years old. He also became a certified flight instructor when he was 23 years old.
Pavelka became a member of an ABC reality show for the third time when he appeared as a celebrity contestant on the tenth season of Dancing with the Stars, partnered with Chelsie Hightower he was the fifth competitor eliminated on April 27, 2010.
- Week 7 and Week 8: The Women Tell All were aired during the 2010 Winter Olympics.
- "Vienna Girardi, Kasey Kahl Split: 'Bachelor Pad' Stars Break Up: REPORT". Huffington Post. November 8, 2011. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Ex-Husband of Tenley Molzahn to Jake Pavelka: Run!". Hollywood Gossip. February 27, 2010. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Quirk, Mary Beth (December 16, 2009). "The Ones to Watch on The Bachelor". OK! Magazine. Archived from the original on February 13, 2010.
- Campbell, Chuck (January 25, 2010). "La Follette Native Ella Nolan eliminated from 'The Bachelor". Knoxville News Sentinel. Archived from the original on March 10, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2010.
- Masters, Megan (January 26, 2010). "Why Is Bachelor's Jake Eliminating So Many Ladies?!". E!. Archived from the original on January 30, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2010.
- "Inland bachelorette gets her rose in premier episode 'The Bachelor'". The Press Enterprise. January 4, 2010.[dead link]
- "'The Bachelor's Ashley Elmore Weighs In on 'The Bachelor' Scandal". MSN.com. January 15, 2010. Archived from the original on October 14, 2012.
- Rocchio, Christopher (January 12, 2010). "The Bachelor Eliminates Rozlyn Papa for Inappropriate Relationship". Reality TV World. Archived from the original on February 6, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2010.
- Washington, Julie (January 2, 2010). "Chuck, Tracy Chevalier, 'Lost in Yonkers', Disney on Ice and a lot more make the new year's first Pop Ten". The Plain Dealer. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "TV Bites: Ben Stiller Fills Up His Station". movieline.com. January 14, 2010. Archived from the original on January 18, 2010. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- Deane, Donald (January 5, 2010). "Channy's Dirty Talk Fails to Impress Jake on 'The Bachelor'". AOL. Archived from the original on January 8, 2010. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "Bachelor Rejects Both Local Women". The Cincinnati Enquirer. January 5, 2010. Archived from the original on January 22, 2010. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- Bereznak, Alyssa (June 7, 2012). "Beer Chemist, Cruise-Ship Entertainer, Mushroom Farmer: The Wackiest Bachelorette and Bachelor Professions". Vanity Fair.
- Husted, Bill (January 12, 2010). "Husted: Boulder film fest to salute Alec Baldwin". Denver Post. Archived from the original on January 16, 2010. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- Doody, Kelly (December 18, 2009). "Alberta beauty hopes to ground pilot". Vancouver 24 Hours. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014.
- "Episode List: The Bachelor". TV Tango. Archived from the original on July 27, 2019. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- "SpotVault – The Bachelor (ABC) – Winter 2010". SpottedRatings.com. Archived from the original on July 27, 2019. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Fleeman, Mike (June 22, 2010). "The Bachelor's Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi Split". People.com. Archived from the original on June 26, 2010. Retrieved July 5, 2010.
- Leung, Jason (August 14, 2013). "Remembering Gia Allemand". The Bachelor official site (ABC). Archived from the original on January 22, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "And a very dear friend..." Jake Pavelka verified Twitter page. August 14, 2013. Archived from the original on March 4, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Ross, Robyn (August 14, 2013). "'The Bachelor' Star Gia Allemand Dies at 29". TV Guide. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Schnurr, Samantha (February 16, 2016). "Former The Bachelor Contestant Lex McAllister Dead at 31 After Apparent Suicide Attempt". E!News. Archived from the original on February 17, 2016. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- Sblendorio, Peter (February 16, 2016). "Former 'Bachelor' contestant Lex McAllister dead at 31 after apparent suicide". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on February 16, 2016. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- "Jake Pavelka on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Jake Pavelka". The Bachelor official site (ABC). Archived from the original on December 31, 2009.