The Agency (2001 TV series)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Created by||Michael Frost Beckner|
Richard Speight, Jr.
with Daniel Benzali
and Will Patton
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||44 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Gail Katz
Michael Frost Beckner
|Running time||44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Radiant Productions
Shaun Cassidy Productions
Studios USA Television (season 1)
Universal Network Television (season 2)
|Original release||September 27, 2001– May 17, 2003|
The series was created by Michael Frost Beckner and was executive produced by Michael Frost Beckner, Shaun Cassidy Productions, and Radiant Productions in association with Universal Network Television and CBS Productions. The program featured unprecedented filming from the actual CIA headquarters.
The show was controversial in its exploration of contemporary international affairs and its treatment of the ethical conflicts inherent in intelligence work. Beckner's pilot script, written in March 2001, posited a re-invented CIA tasked with a "War on Terror" after Osama Bin Laden's Al Qaeda terrorist organization plots a lethal attack on the West. The pilot was to premiere at CIA Headquarters on September 18, 2001, and set to air on CBS September 21, 2001; however, the actual 9/11 attacks convinced the network to hold the pilot and instead air a later episode. That first episode was broadcast later as the third episode of the first season.
The September 11, 2001 terrorist events changed the way Americans viewed topical entertainment and "The Agency", at the time, was one of the most topical offerings on network television. The producers of the series quickly responded to this new American perspective on world affairs, but CBS canceled the show shortly after the second season's final episode.
- Gil Bellows – Matt Callan (Season 1)
- Daniel Benzali – Deputy Director Robert Quinn (Episodes 14–44, recurring previously)
- Beau Bridges – Senator/Director Tom Gage (Episodes 14–44)
- Rocky Carroll – Carl Reese
- David Clennon – Joshua Nankin
- Ronny Cox – Director Alex Pierce (Episodes 1–10)
- Jason O'Mara – A.B. Stiles (Season 2)
- Will Patton – Jackson Haisley
- Gloria Reuben – Lisa Fabrizzi (Episodes 1–13, 21–22)
- Richard Speight, Jr. – Lex (Season 2, recurring previously)
- Paige Turco – Terri Lowell
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||22||September 27, 2001||May 9, 2002|
|2||22||September 28, 2002||May 17, 2003|
|DVD Name||Region 1||Region 2|
|The Agency (22 Episodes from Season 1)||N/A||October 4, 2004|
- Terrace, Vincent (2009). Encyclopedia of Television Shows, 1925 through 2007 (Volume 1 A-E). Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-7864-3305-6.