How I Got to Memphis(Redirected from That's How I Got to Memphis)
"How I Got to Memphis" is the shortened title used by American country music singer Bobby Bare, of a song whose full title is: "That's How I Got to Memphis" written by Tom T. Hall and which appears on his 1969 album: 'Ballad Of Forty Dollars & His Other Great Songs'. Bobby Bare's album This Is Bare Country was released in August 1970 and this track was taken from it as a single. Other performers of this song use the full title: That's How I Got to Memphis.
|"How I Got to Memphis"|
|Single by Bobby Bare|
|from the album This Is Bare Country|
|B-side||"It's Freezing in El Paso"|
|Songwriter(s)||Tom T. Hall|
|Bobby Bare singles chronology|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||22|
Deryl Dodd versionEdit
|"That's How I Got to Memphis"|
|Single by Deryl Dodd|
|from the album One Ride in Vegas|
|Released||November 9, 1996|
|Songwriter(s)||Tom T. Hall|
|Producer(s)||Blake Chancey, Chip Young|
|Deryl Dodd singles chronology|
The music video was directed by Marc Ball and premiered in 1996.
Dodd's version charted on Hot Country Songs for 20 weeks, peaking at number 36 in early 1997.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||38|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||36|
- Bill Haley And The Comets covered the song as a single in 1969 on United Artists.
- Lee Hazlewood covered the song on his 1976 Album 20th Century Lee.
- Scott Walker (singer) covered it on his 1973 album Stretch.
- Eddy Mitchell covered the song in 1976.
- Rosanne Cash covered the song on her 1982 album Somewhere in the Stars.
- Buddy Miller covered the song on his 1995 album Your Love and Other Lies.
- Solomon Burke covered the song on his 2006 album Nashville.
- Joe Pernice covered the song on his 2009 album It Feels So Good When I Stop
- Natural Child covered the song on their 2012 album For the Love of the Game
- The Avett Brothers covered the song in the 2013 concert film Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of Inside Llewyn Davis
- Jeff Daniels and John Gallagher, Jr. performed the song in the series finale of The Newsroom, titled "What Kind of Day Has It Been."
- Whitey Morgan and the 78's cover this song on their 2015 album Sonic Ranch.
- Voluntary Butler Scheme recorded a version on his 2014 album A Million Ways To Make Gold
- Karl Blau covered the song on his 2016 album Introducing Karl Blau.
- JT Lauritsen & The Buckshot Hunters from Norway, also has a version of this song. On the album from 2007 Squeezeboxing.
- Eric Church covered the song on his Holdin' My Own Tour and a live recording appeared on his "61 Days in Church: Volume 2."
- The Nashville Trend covered the song on the single on ORS-1272 (backed by the Chuck Berry song "Memphis")
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 42–43. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- "Album reviews". Billboard: 20. August 8, 1970.
- "Singles". Billboard: 72. July 18, 1970.
- "Bobby Bare Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- Whitburn, pp. 127-28
- Yates, Don. "One Ride in Vegas review". Country Standard Time. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9897." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. March 3, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Deryl Dodd Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Lee Hazlewood – 20th Century Lee". Discogs.com.