Thanks for Everything
|Thanks for Everything|
|Released||August 24, 2018|
|Third Eye Blind chronology|
|Singles from Thanks for Everything|
After extensive gaps in album releases by the band between their last studio albums, six years between Out of the Vein (2003) and Ursa Major (2009), followed by another six years until Dopamine (2015), Third Eye Blind frontman Stephan Jenkins announced the band would be moving away from full-album releases in favor of more frequent, smaller EP releases moving forward. Jenkins made good on the promise, just a year later releasing the seven-track EP We Are Drugs. The band's next plans included releasing a 2017 EP called Summer Gods, to coincide with a tour of the same name, and would have explored a variety of new sounds for the band, including trap music. However, the EP was not finished in time to be released during the tour, and was instead changed into simply a live album of performances from the tour. In June 2018, it was announced that the next EP was instead to be titled Thanks for Everything, and to consist of seven cover versions of various songs of Jenkins' selection. The change in plans was attributed to, and inspired by, the band's trips to local museums and galleries during the Summer Gods touring, and the proceeds from the EP go towards the Andy Warhol Museum. Jenkins stated that the act of reinterpreting and recording cover songs of various genres that had influenced the band over the years was done to help find inspiration for the creation of a future studio album.
Composition and themesEdit
The EP consists of the band's reinterpretations of seven vastly different musical artists: Happy Diving's "10", Babyshambles's "Fuck Forever", Santigold's "This Isn't Our Parade", Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren", Chastity Belt's "Joke", Queens of the Stone Age's "In the Fade", and Bon Iver's "Blood Bank". "Blood Bank" is a song the band had previously been performing at live concerts as early as 2012. Consequence of Sound described their version of "Fuck Forever" as "less consciously sloppy than [Babyshamble's frontman Pete] Doherty's original cut" but still having "an anthemic, cathartic feel that's no doubt born from his views on the US's current political climate."
Release and promotionEdit
|1.||"10" (Happy Diving cover)||3:42|
|2.||"Fuck Forever" (Babyshambles cover)||3:41|
|3.||"This Isn't Our Parade" (Santigold cover)||3:40|
|4.||"Song to the Siren" (Tim Buckley cover)||3:13|
|5.||"Joke" (Chastity Belt cover)||3:47|
|6.||"In the Fade" (Queens of the Stone Age cover)||3:45|
|7.||"Blood Bank" (Bon Iver cover)||3:43|
- Stephan Jenkins – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Kryz Reid – lead guitar
- Alex LeCavalier – bass guitar
- Alex Kopp – keyboards
- Brad Hargreaves – drums
- "Interview: Stephan Jenkins of Third Eye Blind on 'Dopamine'".
- "Third Eye Blind Details Upcoming 'Summer Gods' Project, With Tracks That 'Sound Like Atlanta Trap Music'".
- "Stream Third Eye Blind's New Live Album, Recorded on Their 'Summer Gods' Tour - Rock Cellar Magazine". 28 November 2017.
- "Third Eye Blind Cover Bon Iver, Chastity Belt, QOTSA on New EP - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com.
- "Third Eye Blind Announce 'Thanks for Everything' Cover Songs EP". 22 June 2018.
- "Third Eye Blind Covers Bon Iver, Santigold & More on 'Thanks for Everything' EP: Stream It Now". Billboard.
- "Third Eye Blind cover Bon Iver and Queens of the Stone Age on new EP, Thanks For Everything". 22 June 2018.
- "Third Eye Blind Cover Bon Iver, Queens Of The Stone Age, Santigold On New EP". 22 June 2018.
- "Third Eye Blind to Cover Bon Iver, Chastity Belt, More on New EP Thanks for Everything".
- "Third Eye Blind have covered Babyshambles' 'Fuck Forever' and plan whole covers EP - NME". 22 June 2018.
- "Third Eye Blind Take on Bon Iver, Queens of the Stone Age, Santigold for New Covers EP". exclaim.ca.