Terence "Terry" Monahan is an American police officer and administrator who is the current Chief of Department of the New York Police Department. In this position, he supervises uniformed police commanders. The chief is the Department's highest ranking uniformed police officer and the lead official responsible for operations. Chief Monahan has been married to his wife, Diane, for over 30 years, and they have three children.
|NYPD Chief of Department|
|Assumed office |
January 8, 2018
|Appointed by||James P. O'Neill|
|Preceded by||Carlos M. Gomez|
|Alma mater||Fordham University 1984|
Monahan joined the NYPD in January 1982 and began his career as a patrolman in the 41st Precinct in the Bronx. Later he became the executive officer of the 34th Precinct and commanding officer of the 34th, 46th and 48th precincts and Narcotics Borough Manhattan North. Monahan also served as executive officer for Patrol Borough Bronx.
Monahan is an expert in crowd control and the management of police operations at major events. He directed police operations during the 2002 World Economic Forum, the 2004 Republican National Convention, the 2003 World Series and 2009 World Series at Yankee Stadium, as well as the 2013 Major League Baseball All-Star Game at Citi Field. During his 35 years of service with the department, Monahan has been honored 28 times for excellent police duty and eight times for meritorious police duty.
Promotion to Chief of PatrolEdit
The formal promotion to Chief of Patrol took place on September 19, 2016.
Dates of RankEdit
Sworn in as a Patrolman - 1982
Promoted to Sergeant - 1987
Promoted to Lieutenant - 1989
Promoted to Captain - 1992
Promoted to Deputy Inspector - 1994
Promoted to Inspector - 1998
Promoted to Deputy Chief - 2003
Promoted to Assistant Chief - 2014
Promoted to Chief of Patrol - 2016
Chief of Department 2018
- Moore, Tina (November 23, 2017). "NYPD selects new chief of department". New York Post. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Jorgensen, Jillian (November 23, 2017). "NYPD abuzz over replacement for outgoing Chief of Department Carlos Gomez". New York Daily News. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- DeStefano, Anthony M. (November 23, 2017). "NYPD leadership reshuffling to be announced this week". AMNY (AM New York). Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Levitt, Leonard (December 18, 2017). "Musical chairs at top of the NYPD". AMNY (AM New York). Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- DCPI, NYPD (December 20, 2017). "Ledership". Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Chief of Patrol". NYPD.
Carlos M. Gomez
| NYPD Chief of Department