Tel Gerisa (Hebrew) or Tell Jerishe and Tell Jarisha (Arabic), commonly known as Tel Napoleon or Napoleon's Hill (as his army camped on it during the siege of Jaffa), is an archaeological site on the southern bank of the Yarkon River in Israel. The main phases of the city are dated to the Middle and Late Bronze Ages, with a smaller settlement in Iron Age I and going into decline in Iron Age II (10th century BCE).
|Location||Central Coastal Plain, within Ramat Gan, Israel|
|New Israel Grid||1820/6667|
Eliezer Sukenik led the excavations at the site between 1927 and 1951 on behalf of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The Israel Department of Antiquities excavated the site in 1976 (Yigal Yadin and Shulamit Geva). Tel Aviv University's Institute of Archaeology explored the tell between 1981 and 1995 under the direction of Ze'ev Herzog.
It was suggested that "Gerisa has been identified ... with the Levitical city of Gath Rimmon" from Joshua 19:45, by following the opinion of Benjamin Mazar. Gath Rimmon is recorded as having been donated to the Levites by the tribe of Dan in Joshua 21:24 and also by the tribe of Manasseh in Joshua 21:25, but in 1 Chronicles 6:69 it is said to have been given from the lands of the tribe of Ephraim. However, Anson Rainey was convinced that Gath-rimmon is identical with Gittaim and is to be found at or near Ramla.
- Negev, Avraham; Gibson, Shimon (2001). Gerisa (Tel);Jerishe (Tell). Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land. New York and London: Continuum. pp. 194–5. ISBN 0-8264-1316-1. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- Israel Antiquities Authority Scientific Archive, File SRF66/6
- Rainey, Anson (1998). "Review by: Anson F. Rainey". Journal of the American Oriental Society. 118 (1): 73. JSTOR 606301.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tel Napoleon (Tel Aviv).|
- Geva, Shulamit , Tell Jerishe: The Sukenik Excavations of the Middle Bronze Age Fortifications, Jerusalem: IES, 1982. Qedem15
- Herzog, Zeev
- Herzog, Zeev and Tsuk, T. , "Tell Gerisa - 1991/1992", HA-ESI 15 (1996), pp. 60–62.
- Rainey, Anson F. , "Tel Gerisa and the Danite Inheritance", in Zeevy, R. (ed.), Israel — People and Land, Eretz Israel Museum Yearbook, 5-6 (23-24) — 5748-9 (1987-9), Tel Aviv: Eretz Israel Museum, 1990, pp. 59–72.
- Golan, Dor