Tax Justice Network
The Tax Justice Network (or TJN), is an independent advocacy group consisting of a coalition of international researchers and activists with a shared concern about tax avoidance, tax competition, tax evasion, and tax havens. There is a particular focus on offshore financial centres who behave as corporate tax havens.
|Formation||March 2003 formal
November 2002 informal
|Focus||tax avoidance, tax competition, tax evasion, and tax havens.|
|Headquarters||38 Stanley Avenue, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 2JG, United Kingdom.|
The Financial Secrecy Index is a biennial publication of the TJN which was started in 2009 and was last released in January 2018. It covers 112 global jurisdictions and produces a "Secrecy Indicator" score for each on based on 20 qualitative criteria. Releases are widely covered in the media.
The TJN has reported on the OECD Base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) projects and conducted their own research that the scale of corporate taxes being avoided by multinationals is an estimated $660bn in 2012 (a quarter of US multinationals’ gross profits), which is equivalent to 0.9% of World GDP.
In July 2012, following a study into wealthy individuals with offshore accounts, the Tax Justice Network published claims regarding deposits worth at least $21 trillion (£13 trillion), potentially even $32 trillion, in secretive tax havens. As a result, governments suffer a lack of income taxes of up to $280 billion.
- "Happy Birthday Tax Justice Network". TJN. 9 November 2012.
- "Report Says U.S. Is World's Second-Biggest Tax Haven". Bloomberg News. 30 January 2018.
- "U.S. Becomes World's Second-Biggest Tax Haven". Wall Street Journal. 30 January 2018.
- "UN urged to launch global effort to end offshore tax evasion". The Guardian. 30 January 2018.
- "Australia a safe haven for illicit funds, but Switzerland the world's worst". Sydney Morning Hearld. 31 January 2018.
- "Tax Avoidance Costing U.S. $189 Billion: Tax Justice Network". Bloomberg News. 23 March 2017.
- "Base Erosion and Profit Shifting BEPS". Tax Justice Network. 2015.
- "13 trillion pounds in offshore tax havens: Report". The Times of India. July 22, 2012. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "Super rich hold $32 trillion in offshore havens". Reuters. July 22, 2012. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "Tax havens: Super-rich 'hiding' at least $21tn". BBC. July 22, 2012. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "Öffentliche Sitzung des Finanzausschusses" (in German). German Bundestag. June 15, 2016. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- Tax Justice Network
- The Price of Offshore, briefing paper of the network
- TJN Co-founder Richard Murphy Tax Blog
- Bullough, Oliver. "The Fall of Jersey: How a Tax Haven Goes Bust," The Guardian online, 8 December 2015 - includes an interview with John Christensen, a native of Jersey, about the origins of TJN