This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Recipient of SAARC Literature Award for 2014, Dr. Tarannum Riyaz is a senior fellow with the Ministry of Culture Government of India. She is a noted Urdu fiction writer, critic, poet, essayist and translator. She was born and educated in Srinagar, Kashmir. She is a newscaster with All India Radio. She is also the secretary of Poetry Club India and convener for the Urdu language with International Centre for Peace Studies New Delhi. She gained a master's degree in Urdu, a Master of Education (M.Ed) and a Ph.D in Education from the University of Kashmir. Riyaz has written more than fifteen books of fiction, criticism, poetry and translation.
Riyaz has been the recipient of the Delhi Urdu Academy Fiction Award for the year 2006 and best book award twice for two short story collections, Yimverzal and Mera Rakht e Safar < She has also received the Uttar Pradesh Urdu Academy Fiction Award and the Sahir Ludhyanvi Adeeb International Award for her contribution in poetry and prose, the Rasa Javedani Memorial Award and Jammu and the Kashmir Academy for Art, Culture and Languages for the Best Book Award 2008 for her substantial contribution towards Urdu literature. Her works have been included in several noteworthy anthologies including one edited by Gopi Chand Narang and another edited by Sadiq and published by Penguin. Her work has been translated into several Indian and foreign languages. Her edited work, 20th Century Urdu Literature of Women published by Sahitya Akademi was widely acclaimed.
Riyaz has participated in a number of national and international conferences and seminars and is a special invitee at the SAARC Conference. She also participated in the World Urdu Conference, Islamabad in 2005 and in the Aman ki Asha literature festival in Karachi in 2010. She is also a member of the Birla Foundation for Saraswati Saman for Urdu.
Her work has been studied in several distinguished universities.
- "Zer e Sabza Mehw e Khwaab" ( poetry 2015)
- "Ajnabee Jazeeron Men" (essays. 2015)
- " Bhadon K Chaand Taley" (poetry 2015)
- Barf Aashna Parindey (novel -2009, second edition 2010 Urdu. Hidi edition 2013)
- Meraa Rakhte Safar (short stories - 2008)
- Fareb E Khitta E Gul (4 novellas – 2008)
- Purani Kitaabon Ki Khusbhu (poetry - 2005)
- Chashme Naqshe Kadam (critical essay – 2005)
- Beeswi Sadi Mein Khawateen Ka Urdu Adab (anthology – 2005)
- Moorti (novel – 2002)
- Yimberzal (short stories – 2002)
- Abbabeelain Laut Aaengi (short stories – 2000)
- Yeh Tang Zameen (short stories – 1998)