Tarabya (Ottoman Turkish: Tarabiye, Greek: Θεραπειά, romanized: Therapiá) is a neighbourhood in the Sarıyer district of Istanbul, Turkey. It is located on the European shoreline of the Bosphorus strait, between the neighbourhoods of Yeniköy and Kireçburnu. It was the site of the ancient town of Pharmakia.
Tarabya was where the foreign embassies had their summer houses during the Ottoman period, and today the area has several European consulates.
Sultan Selim II used to enjoy eating fish in this area and asked his grand vizier, Sokollu Mehmed Pasha, to build a palace for him where he can spend the summers. It is believed that Sultan Selim II called his palace Tarabiye which means "pleasure", and the name of the neighbourhood (Tarabya) has derived from the name of this palace.
Besides its historical monuments, Tarabya is famous for its seafood restaurants, bistros and nightclubs.
- Church of Aya Paraskevi
- Fountain of Sultan Mahmud II
- Fountain of Bezm-i Alem Valide Sultan
- Tarabya Cultural Academy, former summer residence of the German Embassy
- Huber Mansion (currently used as the Presidential residence in Istanbul)
- Yalı of Hristaki Zoğrafos
- Yalı of Prince Ypsilantis (later summer residence of the French Embassy)
- Grand Tarabya Hotel (built on the former site of the historic Tokatlıyan Tarabya Hotel)
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2015)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tarabya.|
- Bachmann, Martin: Tarabya. Alman Büyükelçisi'nin Boğaziçi'ndeki Tarihi Yazlık Rezidansının Tarihçesi ve Gelişimi. Alman Arkeoloji Enstitüsü ve Ege Yayınları, Istanbul 2003. ISBN 975-8070-65-7
- Türker, Orhan: Therapia´dan Tarabya´ya. Boğaz´ın Diplomatlar Köyünün Hikayesi. Sel Yayıncılık, Istanbul 2006. ISBN 975-570-275-X
- Lund University. Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- Pears, (2004), p.253
- Tarabya Istanbul Info
- "Contact." Lycée Français Pierre Loti d'Istanbul. Retrieved on 20 February 2015. "Adresse: Haydar Aliyev Caddesi n°128" and "Adresse: Tomtom Kaptan Sok. Beyoğlu"
- "Tarabya British Schools Contact". tarabyabritishschools.com. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
Şalcıkır Caddesi No: 44, Tarabya / Sarıyer / İstanbul
|This geographical article about a location in Istanbul Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|