Tanner Hall (film)
Tanner Hall is a 2009 drama film about four girls coming of age in boarding school. It was written and directed by Princess Tatiana von Fürstenberg and Francesca Gregorini. It stars Rooney Mara, Georgia King, Brie Larson, Amy Ferguson, Tom Everett Scott, Amy Sedaris, Chris Kattan, Shawn Pyfrom, and Ryan Schira.
Theatrical release poster
|Music by||Roger Neill|
|Cinematography||Brian Rigney Hubbard|
|Distributed by||Anchor Bay Films|
As Fernanda (Rooney Mara) enters her senior year at Tanner Hall—a sheltered boarding school in New England—she is faced with unexpected changes in her group of friends when a childhood acquaintance, the charismatic yet manipulative trouble-maker Victoria (Georgia King), appears. Shy and studious, Fernanda is usually the voice of reason among her friends—adventurous and sexy Kate (Brie Larson) and tomboy Lucasta (Amy Ferguson). Jealous of Fernanda's exciting relationship, Victoria begins to sabotage Fernanda's plans and plots to publicly humiliate her.
- Rooney Mara as Fernanda ("Fern")
- Georgia King as Victoria
- Brie Larson as Kate
- Amy Ferguson as Lucasta
- Tom Everett Scott as Gio
- Chris Kattan as Mr. George Middlewood
- Amy Sedaris as Mrs. Maggie Middlewood
- Shawn Pyfrom as Hank
- Ryan Schira as Peter
- Susie Misner as Roxanne, Fernanda's mother
- Tara Subkoff as Gwen
- Annika Peterson as Olga, Victoria's mother
- Alaina Lauren Steinberg as Margaret
Production and receptionEdit
It was the first feature film for von Fürstenberg and Gregorini that had its world premiere as an Official Selection at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2009. It was well received at the Hamptons International Film Festival and was awarded the Grand Jury Prize for Best Feature at the Gen Art Film Festival. It was picked up by Anchor Bay Films, a division of Anchor Bay Entertainment, and was released in theaters September 2011.
Despite this Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a 12% score with critics (two of the seventeen reviews being positive) and 27% score with audiences, a "Rotten" rating for both. Aggregate review site Metacritic scored it 40 out of 100 from 10 reviews, indicating mixed or average.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2009||Hamptons International Film Festival||Breakthrough Performer – Rising Stars||Rooney Mara||Won|
|2010||GenArt Film Festival||Stargazer Award – GenArtist Emerging Actress Award||Rooney Mara||Won|
- "Tanner Hall". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- "Tanner Hall (2011)". "Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved January 2, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved January 4, 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tanner-hall/ Rotten Tomatoes reviews
- http://www.metacritic.com/movie/tanner-hall Metacritic reviews