Tan Tai Yong
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tan Tai Yong (Chinese: 陳大榮; pinyin: Chén Dàróng)) is a Professor of Humanities (History) at Yale-NUS College, Professor of South Asian history at the National University of Singapore (NUS), and current President at Yale-NUS College. He is also Director of the Institute of South Asian Studies, an autonomous university-level research institute in NUS. He previously served as Executive Vice-President (Academic Affairs) of Yale-NUS, Vice Provost (Student Life) at NUS, and Dean of Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, NUS. Tan was also a former Nominated Member of Parliament.
Professor Tan obtained his first two degrees - BA (Hons), 1986, and MA, 1989 - from the National University of Singapore. He then went off to Cambridge University, where he earned his doctorate in South Asian history in 1992, under the supervision of Anthony Low. He has been a faculty member of the Department of History at NUS since 1992 and served the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences as Sub-Dean (1994-1999), Head of the History Department (2000-2003), Vice-Dean (2001-2003) and Dean (2004-2009).
Professor Tan's research interests are in the areas of Sikh diaspora, civil-military relations, social and political history of colonial Punjab, and the partition of South Asia. Lately, he has shifted his attention to Southeast Asia, and has been exploring issues of networks formation and the place of maritime cities in the region.
- A 700 Year History of Singapore. From Classical Emporium to World City (with Kwa Chong Guan and Derek Heng), National Archives Singapore, 2009.
- Creating "Greater Malaysia": Decolonization and the Politics of Merger
- Tan Tai Yong (2005). The Garrison State: Military, Government and Society in Colonial Punjab, 1849-1947. SAGE. ISBN 978-0-7619-3336-6.
- Gyanesh Kudaisya; Tan Tai Yong (2002). The Aftermath of Partition in South Asia. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-0-203-45060-4.
- Beyond Degrees: The Making of the National University of Singapore (with Edwin Lee). Singapore: Singapore University Press, 1996.
- Singapore Khalsa Association. Singapore: Times Books International, 1988. (Second Edition, published by Marshall Cavendish, 2006)
- Home Archived 2011-01-20 at the Wayback Machine
- "Yale-NUS picks Tan Tai Yong as new president". Channel News Asia. 2017-03-14. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- Tai Yong Tan (2008). Creating "Greater Malaysia": Decolonization and the Politics of Merger. Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. ISBN 978-981-230-747-7.