Mustafa Tamer Başar (born January 19, 1946) is a control and game theorist who is the Swanlund Endowed Chair and Center for Advanced Study Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. He is also the Director of the Center for Advanced Study (since 2014).
|Fields||Optimization, Dynamic Game Theory and Robust control|
|Institutions||University of Illinois at Urbana |
Boğaziçi Üniversitesi, İstanbul
|Thesis||On a Class of Minimax State Estimators for Linear Systems with Unknown Forcing Functions|
|Doctoral advisor||Max Luria Mintz|
|Other academic advisors|
Tamer Başar received a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Boğaziçi Üniversitesi (formerly known as Robert College) at Bebek, in İstanbul-Turkey, in 1969, and M.S., M.Phil., and Ph.D. in engineering and applied science from Yale University, in 1970, 1971 and 1972, respectively.
He joined the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign - Electrical and Computer Engineering Department in 1981. He was the founding president of the International Society of Dynamic Games during 1990-1994, the president of the IEEE Control Systems Society in 2000, and the president of the American Automatic Control Council during 2010-2011. He received the Medal of Science of Turkey in 1993, H.W. Bode Lecture Prize of the IEEE Control Systems Society in 2004, Georgia Quazza Medal of the International Federation of Automatic Control in 2005, the Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award in 2006, Isaacs Award of the International Society of Dynamic Games in 2010, and IEEE Control Systems Award in 2014. Tamer Başar was elected as a member of National Academy of Engineering in Electronics, Communication & Information Systems Engineering and Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems Engineering for the development of dynamic game theory and application to robust control of systems with uncertainty in 2000. He is a Fellow of IEEE, IFAC, and SIAM.
Honorary degrees and chairsEdit
- Honorary Professorship, Shandong University, Jinan, China, 2019
- Honorary Chair Professorship from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China in 2014
- Honorary Doctorate (Doctor Honoris Causa) from Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey in 2012
- Honorary Doctorate from the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan in 2011
- Honorary Professorship from Northeastern University, Shenyang, China in 2008
- Honorary Doctorate (Doctor Honoris Causa) from Doğuş University, Istanbul, Turkey in 2007
- Swanlund Endowed Chair Professorship at UIUC in 2007
- Tamer Başar at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Tamer Başar was elected in 2000 as a member of National Academy of Engineering in Electronics, Communication & Information Systems Engineering and Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems Engineering for development of dynamic game theory and application to robust control of systems with uncertainty.
- Tamer Başar's biography
- SIAM Fellows: Class of 2012
- Harold W. Cheel Professor of Electrical Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Yale University
- Some of the IEEE publications of Prof. Narendra
- A. Stephen Morse was elected in 2002 as a member of National Academy of Engineering in Electronics, Communication & Information Systems Engineering and Computer Science & Engineering for his contributions to geometric control theory, adaptive control, and the stability of hybrid systems.
- Some of the IEEE publications of Prof. Morse
- Tamer Başar's homepage,
- Swanlund Chair
- Center for Advanced Study
- Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Decision and Control Laboratory, The Communications Group, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Currently, Robert College is an independent private high school at Arnavutköy. The Bebek campus and academic staff were turned over to the Republic of Turkey for use as Boğaziçi University in 1971.
- "Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award". American Automatic Control Council. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- For seminal contributions to dynamic games, stochastic and risk-sensitive control, control of networks, and hierarchical decision making
- Some of the IEEE publications of Prof. Başar
|Awards and achievements|
Stephen P. Boyd
| IEEE Control Systems Award
Gene F. Franklin
| Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award
Sanjoy K. Mitter