|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Earlier today, I removed the text:
It is now simply known as the Ring Road due to the removal of the old Inner Ring Road.
but it has just been reinstated. Not only is it uncited, but it's palpably false, not least because Birmingham still has another ring road. Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 23:17, 3 June 2010 (UTC)
- Can't get much more verifiable than this. The A4040 is just a road in Birmingham which happens to start and end on itself, never referred to as a ring road. Jeni (talk) 00:37, 4 June 2010 (UTC)
That sign indicates that the road is a ring road, not the ring road. And of course the outer ring road is referred to a ring road; it has "R" signs all along its route. See also:
- http://search.birmingham.gov.uk/search?q="outer+ring+road"&spell=1&site=bcc_web_content&client=bcc_web&access=p&num=10&ie=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=bcc_web&output=xml_no_dtd - Birmingham City Council references to outer ring road
- http://search.birmingham.gov.uk/search?q="inner+ring+road"&btnG=Search&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&client=bcc_web&entqr=3&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&num=10&ud=1&proxystylesheet=bcc_web&output=xml_no_dtd&spell=1&site=bcc_web_content - Birmingham City Council references to inner ring road
- First of all we can discount the Inner Ring Road, it simply doesn't exist any more, and it has been several years since it has.
- You appear to have blindly searched without looking at any of the documents within the results. Many date back to a time when the Inner Ring Road still existed, or in the period shortly after its decimation, back in the period when it was widely accepted that Birmingham had an "Inner", "Middle" and "Outer" ring road. Repeat your same search for just "ring road" and a large majority refer to the A4540 as the unqualified ring road.
- The A4040 only has a handful of aging R signs on its circle remaining, many of which have already been taken down. No direction signage refers to it as a ring road. The former outer ring road's only cry back to it's "glory days" is the outer circle bus route. Jeni (talk) 10:34, 4 June 2010 (UTC)