Takahashi Ujibumi (高橋氏文) is a historical clan record of the Takahashi clan. It served as an appeal for court arbitration between two fighting clans.
The author(s) is unknown, but the contents suggest that it was composed prior to 789. The text only survives today in fragments quoted in other texts such as Honchō Gatsuryō (本朝月令, c. 930-946), Seiji Yōryaku (政事要略, 1002), and Nenjū Gyōji Hishō (年中行事秘抄).
Both the Takahashi and Azumi clans served in the Royal Table Office. Conflict between the two clans erupted with many conflicts occurring after 716. Seeking arbitration and a resolution to the conflict, both clans submitted their clan records to the imperial court. This is the Takahashi record; the Azumi clan record is unknown.
Pieced together, the text consists of three major sections:
The text is highly valued as the oldest existing clan record. In addition, the Nihon Shoki (720) makes reference to the Kashiwade clan, a title bestowed up the Takahashi clan. This suggests the possibility that the Takahashi clan record, at least in part, was used as a reference in compiling Nihon Shoki while also suggesting that parts of it may be even older.
Linguistically, the text includes a number of passages utilizing the archaic Jōdai Tokushu Kanazukai spellings. However, there are some inconsistencies which indicate that parts of it date to a late 8th century.
- Sakamoto, Tarō et al. (1965). Nihon Koten Bungaku Taikei: Nihon Shoki, p. 510.
- Kubota, Jun (2007). Iwanami Nihon Koten Bungaku Jiten (in Japanese). Iwanami Shoten. ISBN 978-4-00-080310-6.
- Nihon Koten Bungaku Daijiten: Kan'yakuban [A Comprehensive Dictionary of Classical Japanese Literature: Concise Edition]. Tōkyō: Iwanami Shoten. 1986. ISBN 4-00-080067-1.
- Okimori, Takuya; Satō Makoto; Yajima Izumi (2012). Kodai Ujibumi-shū: Sumiyoshi Taisha Jindaiki, Kogo Shūi, Shinsen Kisōki, Takahashi Ujibumi, Hata-shi Honkeichō. Yamakawa Shuppansha. ISBN 978-4-634-59394-7.
- Omodaka, Hisataka (1967). Jidaibetsu Kokugo Daijiten: Jōdaihen (in Japanese). Sanseidō. ISBN 4-385-13237-2.
- Sakamoto, Tarō; Ienaga Saburō; Inoue Mitsusada; Ōno Susumu (1965). Nihon Koten Bungaku Taikei: Nihon Shoki (vol. 2). Iwanami Shoten. ISBN 4-00-060068-0.
- Takahashi Ujibumi, online edition