T20 Global League
The T20 Global League is a planned Twenty20 cricket tournament by Cricket South Africa (CSA) to be held in South Africa from November 2018. In the wake of the departure of CSA's CEO Haroon Lorgat, CSA announced in October 2017 that the tournament would be postponed to November 2018 due to financial considerations, the lack of a broadcast deal and title sponsor. Thabang Moroe, acting CEO of CSA said that "we have re-assessed our strategy and believe that postponing the first edition of the T20 Global League to next year will serve us well".
|Tournament format||Double round-robin league and Playoffs|
|Number of teams||8|
The teams participating in the T20 Global League will be based in eight cities across South Africa.
The owners of the eight teams went through a tender process before they were eventually chosen by Cricket South Africa (CSA). In March 2017, CSA announced that it received more than 150 expressions of interest in its team ownership process, with significant interest from both South African and international parties.
The teams, owners, and home grounds were announced at a function in London on 19 June 2017:
Each squad of eighteen may include up to five international players. South Africans playing in Europe under the Kolpak rule are counted as internationals. At least three internationals must be selected to play each match and a maximum of four are allowed on the field at any time.
- "South Africa's T20 Global League postponed until November 2018". BBC Sport. 2017-10-10. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "Cricket South Africa postpones Global T20 league". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "CSA braces for massive loss from inaugural T20 Global League". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "SA's T20 Global League postponed". Sport24. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "T20 Global League Postponed". Cricket South Africa. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "T20 Global League potential XIs". Sportsclub. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "#T20GL A lot of mischief-makers out there, says Lorgat". IOL. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "T20 Global League announces inaugural tournament match schedule". T20GL. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "T20 Global League Teams". T20 Global League. 14 June 2017.
- "Strong Indian interest in new SA T20 league". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Meet the T20 Global League Franchise Owners". Cricket South Africa. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Meet the T20 Global League Franchise Owners". Cricket South Africa. 5 October 2017. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Everything you need to know about the T20 Global League squads". The Citizen. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Pollard named Bloem City Blazers captain". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Failure to get SuperSport deal why Cricket SA CEO left – Report". 1 October 2017. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Stellenbosch Kings unveiled by Zinta". Sport24.co.za. 13 September 2017.
- "T20GL - Preity Zinta claims ownership of Stellenbosch Monarchs". Cricbuzz.com. 8 September 2017. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Mphahlele, Mahlatse (25 August 2017). "Superstars up for grabs in weekend's draft for SA's T20 Global League". Times Live.
- "Five internationals allowed for T20 Global". sacricketmag.com. 17 August 2017.