|37th Surveyor General of Sri Lanka|
|Preceded by||E. M. Perera|
|Succeeded by||S. Berugoda|
|Born||22 September 1934|
|Died||11 March 2010(aged 75)|
|Alma mater||Jaffna Hindu College|
University of Ceylon
Ohio State University
|Ethnicity||Sri Lankan Tamil|
Early life and familyEdit
Somasekaram was born on 22 September 1934. He was educated at the Jaffna Hindu College. After school he joined the University of Ceylon, Colombo from where he graduated in 1956 with a BSc degree.
After university Somasekaram joined the Government Survey Department as an Assistant Superintendent of Surveys. A year later he joined Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge in 1958 to study the Part II course in geography, which he completed in 1959. On returning to Ceylon he rejoined the Survey Department. He became Superintendent of Surveys in 1967, Assistant Surveyor General in 1971 and Deputy Surveyor General in 1973. The latter position made in head of the Institute of Surveying and Mapping.
Somasekaram became Surveyor General in 1991. He came up with the idea of the Sri Lankan Atlas and chaired the committee charged with creating it. He was awarded the Sri Lanka Sikhamani title, a Sri Lankan national honour, in 1990 for this work.
Somasekaram was president of the Surveyors' Institute of Sri Lanka (1985–87) and the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science. In 1998 he was admitted as a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and received an honorary doctorate from the University of Jaffna. He was vice-president of the Organisation of Professional Associations of Sri Lanka between 1985 and 1991 and a member of the Canadian Institute of Geomatics.
- "Fitzwilliam Journal 2012" (PDF). Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-05-12. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Somasekaram, T. (23 March 2004). "Memorial for IPKF". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Somasekaram, T. (6 April 2002). "Reconditioning the public service". Daily News (Sri Lanka). Archived from the original on 22 December 2004. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Mahaarachchi, R. (16 May 2010). "Mapping the life of a fine man and outstanding Surveyor General". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- "258th Commencement" (PDF). Ohio State University. Autumn 1976. p. 11.
- "Dr.T.Somasekaram former Surveyor General of Sri Lanka and Jaffna Hindu College Oldboy passed away". Tamil Sydney. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Obituaries". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 12 March 2010. Archived from the original on 15 March 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "History". Department of Survey (Sri Lanka). Archived from the original on 2014-04-16. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "About SISL". The Surveyors' Institute of Sri Lanka. Archived from the original on 2013-08-05. Cite uses deprecated parameter
E. M. Perera
| Surveyor General of Sri Lanka